1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bigger Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OBE17, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

All I've ever done is buy some more RAM and plug it in. Oh, and I changed a video card to get multiple monitors.

How do I go about putting a new BIG hard drive in my Dell Optiplex 745?

I ain't no kid. I've been "toying" with these things since the '70s when I bought my first one, a Commodore 64. You'd think I'd be a WIZ by now! My son was a Freshman at Drexel in 1984, the year they gave every student a MacIntosh! I shouldn't say GAVE!?

I still have every computer I ever bought and I want to keep using some of them. How do I find out the best upgrades for each individual one? I have a BelArc Advisor printout for each one.

I wanted to insert an image of my office here. I went to Photobucket and gave it a url but I don't know how to get it in here.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    moved to hardware forum
    do you want to replace the system harddrive or add an extra drive ?

I tend to just add external harddrives for keeping data on - you can get 1,2,3TB drives quite cheaply these days

3. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

I presently have 80GB with only 14GB free on C:\ and I have an External 1.5TB Seagate as the F:\ drive using 2.0 USB port.

I have a ScanSnap 1500 that I use to put files on the F:\ drive.

My Dell mobo is 0TY565 1.6 ghz Intel Core Duo 64k Primary memory cache and 1024k Secondary Memory cache with 800mhz Bus Clock (I don't know what that means) and it says it's 64 bit ready (I don't know what that means, either)

This machine only has 2 of 4 memory slots filled with 512MB each.

The machine is fast enough for me since I don't do ANY gaming. I use it for office work, mostly with Excel.

It's just that I think I need "onboard" hard drive space and I think the cost has come down a lot.

The biggest improvement I've ever done was multiple monitors. I REALLY love the convenience they give me because I cut & paste a lot in spreadsheets. I have a couple that I've installed new multi-monitor video cards in and more recently I've gone the ARKVIEW External Video Adapter route with less trouble and as much success.

4. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Sorry...I thought I was IN the hardware forum.

5. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Oh, okay, I guess it's all right to continue...That's one of the things I needed advice about: Are folks simply hooking-up External HDs now? Are they just a fast? I saw one today for $99 for a 3TB. I know they're selling 64GB thumb drives cheap now. Storage has come a LONG way!

I hope I'm not annoying anyone with the way I'm jumping-around asking one question after another but can you tell me how to judge a motherboard's speed and quality. I have two other computers with 2.0 P4s and another with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core. Which numbers tell me which mobos are better?

6. saikee

saikee

It is strange here.

Most users, who are able to run twin monitors,add rams to the memory slots, played with computer since 70s, has a collection of video cards, external video adaptor and runs several PC would just go out to buy a new hard disk instead of using the thread to ask 6 to 7 question unrelated to it. If the mobo runs only IDE disk one can buy a IDE to Sata adaptor. If the mobo runs only Sata I the new Sata 3 disk are downward compatible. If the operating system is 32 bit change it to 64 bit for 3TB disk (need GPT partition table support from the MS Windows) so there isn't really anything to stop putting a new bigger or just add another disk. Think since 70s most mobo will support 4 hard disks and CD/DVD/Blu-ray combinations minimum.

7. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

okay, then, since I DID seem to annoy someone, I'll explain: The reason I gave as-brief-as-possible a glimpse into my history was to let friends know that I can follow you even though the task-at-hand (adding a bigger hard drive) is a fairly elementary topic and asking questions about it implies that one is a neophyte. I am a novice but as one who began prior to the point & click OSs, I have experience writing code (BASIC) in order to program DOS based machines. So, if someone gives me a technical answer, I should be able to follow it.
    MY problem is that three-months after I make these modifications, I'm asking about this time, I will not remember making them. That is due to a stroke I suffered in 1999 which left me with Epilepsy and a malfunctioning Mid-Term Memory. If I tell people that, then they start talking slowly and loudly to me as if I can't follow them; much like someone giving directions to a blind-man!
    Even though I annoyed you, you did see fit to let all of us know that you know the answer to my question, but only after you scolded me. I appreciate that.
    If you don't know that the memory of computers is modeled after the human brain's memory you can Google the topic or I can, briefly, explain here: A human being's memories are divided into three segments of the brain. There is Short-term memory (from NOW until approx. 3-months from now) Mid-term (from 3-months to approx. 50 years, in a person my age) and Long-term memory. (from childhood to the teen years)
    Long-term memory is the most rugged and dependable. That's why even folks with Dementia still have memories of childhood. Mine still works fine.
    Short-term is the most crucial. One couldn't function with a faulty short-term memory...again (lucky for me) mine works fine. However, when my brain decides to transfer a memory from short to mid-term, it disappears (much like RAM when you shut-off the computer). If I meet a person today, and don't see them for 3-months (which would renew the memory of them) I will walk right past them as if we never met. I do not remember last year!
    I write notes for myself and then forget where I put them. So, each time I have a dilemma, I Google the topic and go onto a forum related to it, where I usually get scolded for failure to observe forum rules by at least one helpful person. This time it was YOU!
    There weren't really 6 or 7 tangential questions, just a couple, one of which was about a motherboard's properties. I do not know what all those specs mean. Sometimes a device's specs are less of an individual property and more of a BALANCE between several properties. That is why I listed the boards in my computers and asked WHICH was the best for my style of computing.
    If you inferred that I was trying to match MY wits with YOURS, you were HOLLERING before you were HURT!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you need to decide what you want to accomplish;

Do you want to replace the existing drive with a larger one?

Do you want to just add a second internal drive for backup, extra storage, etc?

FWIW I would replace your existing drive with a new larger and much faster drive. Something like this WD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236345

I checked the specs on your optiplex and it shows a few different configs. The only one that has space for multiple hard disks is the mini-tower. Here is the spec sheet for your system.
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

One last item. If you purchase a WD drive, they have a free version of acronis true image available for download. You can use this to clone your existing drive.

9. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Thankz, crj, I do seem to have plenty of room but I was thinking of removing the 80GB drive and installing a new one.

Are there any issues if the OS is not on the same HDrive.
    If I do leave it in there and leave the OS on it, does that slow things down any?

I remember being advised to locate the OS on the same partition as the large storage space.

Is there a discernible difference between partitions and separate hard drives. I mean with speed.

All this is to determine if it's better to simply scrap the 80GB original since it's pretty small by today's standards.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you ask those questions to three different hardware people, you are going to get three different answers. They are very subjective in content. IMO I would replace your existing 80gig drive with the one I linked to; it will give you a pretty good boost in performance. Modern hard drives have come a long way in speed/drive read/write speed. If you purchase the WD drive, you can download the free version of acronis and clone your existing drive. It is a pretty easy straightforward task.

Remember you always need a current backup of anything important. I have a saying; data you do not have at least two copies of [on separate media] is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

11. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Thanx, and yes, I do have copies of everything important. I bought one of those ScanSnap1500 scanners and a 1.5TB External HD and it has auto-backup software in it.
    I've never had a computer fail on me. Everything bad that has happened to me was my own fault. I've fixed everything from failure to pass the post to virus' using the trusty search engines. There's a wealth of nice people out there willing to help a fella out.

I am going to follow your advice. I'll let you know how I make out.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here are detailed instructions for using acronis;

1 Once you download the free version from WD, install it to your existing drive
    2 Create the boot CD or flash drive. Acronis calls this the recovery or rescue disk
    3 With the system OFF, install your new drive. Do not attempt to partition or format the drive. Just install it as it comes out of the box.
    4 Boot with the boot CD [you may have to change boot order in the bios]
    5 From the tools menu select to copy or clone disk
    6 Select source [old disk] and destination [new disk]
    7 Complete the clone process and shutdown. DO NOT reboot with both drives connected.
    8 Either remove the old drive or pull the pw connector
    9 Pw ON and enter the bios. Make sure your new drive is listed as the boot drive. It should be however it never hurts to check
    10 Save settings and exit the bios. System will restart. Check that drive letters are correct, etc. If all is well, you can shutdown and connect your old drive. The os will assign the next available drive letter to the old drive. Use it for storage, backups, etc.

Done

13. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Thanx crj, I will do!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice