1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BiggsAFB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BiggsAFB, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BiggsAFB

BiggsAFB Thread Starter

A friend gave me a non operating Dell Dimension E510 running WinXP. After much head scratching, I got it up and running, but after giving it to my son who lives in Colorado, he calls one day and advises me that all he gets now when he tries to start it is a blinking amber light. I replaced it with a new Hp and brought the Dell back to Indiana. After much research on this problem, I've discovered that this is not a rare occurrence with these particular models, but an epidemic. Dell claims the blinking light is either a malfunctioning power supply that's not supplying, or else a motherboard that has stopped mothering. I removed the mother board to see if there was something shorting it out but found nothing. Checking the power supply with a multimeter, I discovered with the 12v P2 connector disconnected, all the voltages were pretty well right on, but once I connected the P2 to the motherboard, the fans and the HD stopped spinning, and all the voltages dropped to nearly nonexistent. I'm wondering if the power supply is breaking down under load or if the motherboard has given up the ghost. What should I replace??? Or should I replace anything?? This is a hobby to me, but after refurbishing these older computers, I give them to people that really can't afford a computer. Any input will be much appreciated.... Jim said that!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Without having the system in front of me, I am guessing you have a failed board. Those are btx boards and were so problem prone, they are not used any longer. In any case, it is something that is not worth putting money into since btx boards are almost non-existent and you cannot use a standard board in that case.

3. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Did you do this while the unit was on and running? That's what it sounds like.

I'm inclined to agree with crj - does sound like a bad board.

4. BiggsAFB

BiggsAFB Thread Starter

I checked it both ways, running and shutdown, well let me rephrase that, I checked it with the blinking light, and checked it with the P2 connector unplugged. I hate to give up on it, it's a nice looking piece of equipment, but like you two say, it'll probably make a better trot line sinker:eek:.... Jim said that!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I posted the btx was so prone to problems, that it was discontinued. If you can even find a btx board, the chances that it will work are very slim.

For what you would spend to fix it, you could most likely build a nice amd quad core system.

6. BiggsAFB

BiggsAFB Thread Starter

Well, crjdriver, I hate to sound cheap, but I don't think I want to build a dual quad system and then give it away. I'm stripping this one down and throwing the metal case in the scrap bin down at my old place of employment, and when recycle day arrives, I'll ditch the electronics. I wonder how Dell can stay in business when so many people have problems with not only this model, but others as well. I'll never buy one, don't like to buy anything I can't repair.... Thanks for your input, appreciate it.... Jim said that!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice