1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Biiiiig boo-boo

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deon555, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deon555

Deon555 Thread Starter

okay, so i'm selling an old P4 i've got in the cupboard. Thought i'd go and get rid of all the programs n stuff first, and remove Windows XP also.

First i carried out a procedure to change E: back to C: (not sure when that happened) as described here. That pretty much rendered it un-log-in-able. Then i thought hey i'll just restart it stick in the old windows 98 disks, and put the files in C:\WIN98 then when I get WIN98 up and running I can just use File Explorer or something to delete the XP files in C:\windows.

I start running Win98 setup from the disk, then it goes you have to reformat the disk because the file system is odd to windows 98, and i'm like oh yeh its prob NTFS or whatever, that's fine, i've got everything backed up anyway. It finishes formatting in around 2 seconds and I just thought *crap* that can't be good. then it errors, so I restart, and it works, until this time it says "Insufficient Disk Space, you need at least 201MB", i'm like huh? I've got like 20GB. I kill that, and go dir from C:\ and it shows me a nice round 8MB figure... wtf have I done! This isn't even my computer, it's my dads, he's gonna like kill me :p

-D

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If your goal is to install XP, boot from the CD, delete all partitions, set up the ones you want and install . .this time disconnect any ZIP, Flash or external drives prior to installing

3. Deon555

Deon555 Thread Starter

My Goal is to install 98, but first I need to some how work out where the other 19,992MB of disk space has gone from my drive and get them back :s

-D

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most Win 98 disc were bootable . . boot from it and then delete all partitions . . when you recreate them you will have the full disc back

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice