1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bill Gates, Firewalls, and Utilities

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computerpain, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerpain

computerpain Thread Starter

Howdy,
    I have been running Windows XP for a year now. I have had crazy problems with utilities. I had ZoneAlarm installed on my system, but dispite any settings, my internet browser would just not download some images on a webpage and ignore the others. Is XP's integrated firewall inferior to ZoneAlarm? I have a copy of WinDoctor. Does XP always need a doctor at hand? Does WinDoctor actually do anything? If it has purpuse, why would there not be one that comes with XP? Also does anyone know of an antivirus program that works flawlessly with XP? I want to know what Bill Gates has running on his computer. What outside software does he introduce to his PC? It just seems like everytime I install software outside software to work with or improve upon XP it seems to fail.

Thanks,
    ComputerPain

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I recently installed Norton Systemworks 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall on my PC running Windows XP Pro and everything is working just fine. I'm on cable so I have it set up to autoupdate everything whenever there's something to update.

The Firewall is nice too. Went to two different security sights to have them scan my IP address ports and I'm completely Stealth. Meaning it looks like my PC isn't even on.

The Antivirus also needs a little tweaking after you install it. The default setting tells it to just scan executable files. So you need to go into the options for each type of scan and set it to Comprehensive.

The only other quirk that bothers me a bit is that Speeddisk doesn't move folders now because it has to use Microsoft's API to defrag files. It's a Windows XP thing.

I believe the 2002 versions work just as well and you can get them online really cheap right now.

3. mal1930

mal1930

HI, I used to use Norton's system works but found it caused nearly as many problems as it fixed.

I bought a new computer and did not install it on this one. If XP's firewall was any good there would be no need for Zone alarm.

I use Outpost. I use NAV mainly because of the automatic updating. I used AVG for a long while but I had to check for updates manually and it becomes a drag. I am lucky as I have a very small ISP that caters for the Island and they also check my e-mail for virus and in fact found one today.

I have found my software runs alright with XP. I have not enhanced the desktop because I rather like what I have with XP's start menu. I use Power Pro to give me access to a few programs that do not fit into the left hand menu. Peace Mal

4. Rockn

Rockn

99% of the software out there that claims to improve performance or protect your PC is total crap and actually casues more problems or makes it run even slower. XP itself seems to be one of those. I have tried XP in both flavors and can't say I am impressed with either. It is slow, a resource hog and very tempermental with it's compatibility with a lot of programs. I have pretty much settled on Win2k and altho not perfect it runs great when configured properly and I have only had problems with older versions of my favorite software. BTW.....Bill Gates doesn't even own a PC....;)

5. boyoh53

boyoh53

I have most of the small utilities on my XPHome inc. NAV2002 and
    ZA. I have no problems with any of them and (touch wood)
    everything keeps moving along just fine. ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice