1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Binding & Protocols, MS Networks vs Family logon

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PlatypusTak, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PlatypusTak

PlatypusTak Thread Starter

Hey, Im completely sorry if this is a no0bish question, but ive done my searching and reading, and I still cant figure out if this is right.

I have a laptop running win 98 se (japanese ed), and a PC running Win 98 SE (english) and Win XP Pro. Both computers have a modem and an ethernet card, and I only have a dial up account with my ISP.
    I Do not want to get ICS. It would be too slow.
    However, I Do want to be able to network AND connect to the internet from just one computer at a time, which I know just requires me to know when someone is logged onto the internet via the laptop or via the PC.

I have gotten the network to work properly so far, and can connect to the internet from each one independently when no one is using the phone line, so technically ive got it working.

The only problem is that I do not know whether all these bindings are correct in each OS. I had to install NetBEUI on Win XP in order to get the file and printer sharing to work, as the printer was the only reason I needed to get the network setup.

I do not know exactly which protocols need to be installed just to have the network working for printer sharing, without having to have the thought of someone tapping into my network when one of us is surfing the net.

Here are the bindings and adaptors installed.

On my PC : Win 98 SE (ENG)
    -Client for Microsoft networks
    -Microsoft Family logon
    - Dialup Adaptor (Binded to TCP/IP, NetBEUI for Dialup Adaptor)
    - Realtek Ethernet Adaptor (Binded to TCP/IP, NetBEUI for ethernet)
    - NetBEUI for Dialup (Binded to Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing, Family logon)
    - NetBEUI for Ethernet (Binded to Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing, Family logon)
    - TCP/IP for Dialup (Binded to Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing, Family logon)
    - TCP/IP for Ethernet (Binded to Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing, Family logon)
    - File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

On my PC: Win XP Pro
    [Dial up properties]
    - TCP/IP Protocol
    - QoS Packet Scheduler
    (DISABLED: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, Client for Microsoft Networks)

[Workgroup Properties]
    - Client for Microsoft Networks
    - File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    - QoS Packet Scheduler
    - NetBEUI Protocol
    - TCP/IP Protocol

On the laptop, it is pretty much the same as the PC Win 98 settings.

The Printer and PC are in one room, and the laptop is in another. I just need to be able to print from the laptop once in a while when it is connected to the internet.

Any help would be greately appreciated!

2. Del

Del

On your 98 machine , your dial up adapter doesn't need to bind to NetBeui, just tcp/ip. All the rest looks fine.

3. PlatypusTak

PlatypusTak Thread Starter

so what exactly is the difference between the Client for Microsoft Network and Family Logon deal when things are binded to them ?

4. Del

Del

As a primary network logon, means Client for Microsoft Networks will always want you to logon where Family logon will go right to your desktop.
    In binding, not sure, you could probably work without Client of MS Networks, but I'd leave it as it is if it's not causing a problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice