1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS and Hnag after HW install...HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan Mc, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

I helped a friend install a simple 50X CDROM Drive. He had a CDRW in place...was set as Sec. Master. We jumpered the CDROM as Sec, Slave. Left the C and D HDDs alone Prim. Slave is a Samsung 8.4 and shows to set w/o jumpers as a slave. Prim. Master is a Maxtor 20 GB and no jumper changes there.

In BIOS, we have selections for AUTO or USER and for LBA, Large, Normal.

Windows came up and we used Adaptec CD Creator to burn CD to CD as a trial and all seemed to be ging well. The case was accidently bumped (not hard) and the burn quit.

Since then, I cannot get Win98SE to come up in anything but SAFE mode. I used a floppy boot disk and tried to reinstall Windows as well, but it hangs after "Collecting Information and Copying files".

Is the BIOS wrong, what can we try? We don;t want to lose the files on C:, but simplely can't get anywhere. HELP PLEASE???

2. brianF

brianF

what error message where you getting to force safe mode boot.

did you try removing the burner from device manager while in safe mode.

disable the burner in the bios and see if it will boot.

Try switching the burner to slave rather than master

3. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

No error message at all...just goes to Safe.

I tried booting from floppy and reinstalling Windows over itself...it starts, then hangs after copyiing info and shows 99 minutes remaining.

All must be connected and set correctly, because I could access Windows and started a CD copy before the case got jostled and screen went blank...from that point on...nada!!!

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Dan, CAN you get into safemode?

5. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

Yes...

6. ~Candy~

Ok, good....first thing, while in safemode, try to shut down from the start button, and select restart.....will it start normally this way? What is happening? Do you get the boot menu? If so, choose normal mode and not safe mode....what happens?

If none of this works and you're still stuck in safemode, try BrianF's suggestions.

7. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

I am not near the machine now, but will give that a try...funny thing is, it must have been all hoked up OK, otherwise, we couldn't have started the CD copy...and if it reads the CDRW (it does, cuz I tried reloading Win98SE) then C: must be OK as well...I suspect interrupting the CD burn glitched it all up....I'll be back on it this evening...we'll see how that goes. Thanks. Bring on any other ideas as well!

8. ETS

ETS

Also, while in Safe Mode, try running scandisk.

9. slipe

slipe

Since a bump seems to have started the problem, have you opened the case and reseated all of the connectors?

Since the bump occurred while you were recording from the CD-ROM to the burner I would uninstall EZCD and DirectCD. Then remove both the burner and CD-ROM in device manager and reboot. If it boots normally reinstall the software. You want to remove the devices in safe mode as you might have somehow gotten a duplicate of one of them which doesn’t show up in normal mode.

I would try ETS’ suggestion to run scandisk first.

I don’t quite understand how the second HD is set as slave without jumpers, but it was working before so it seems it should still work.

10. ~Candy~

Just an FYI, no jumpers would make it the slave.... :)

11. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

One little question came to mind:

Which connector should be Master and which Slave (Master on the ned connector and Slave on the middle, or vice versus??)

12. slipe

slipe

Aca Candy Thanks – didn’t know that. I’ll still put them on slave or I’ll lose the jumpers.

Dan Mc With cable select the end connector will be master. I have read unsubstantiated reports that if you use 80 wire ATA cable the master should be on the end. Otherwise I don’t think it matters what connector they are on.

13. ~Candy~

Dan, I just wanted to clarify.....not knowing your exact model HD....I looked at this site and saw the jumpers removed for slave.....all my Maxtor drives have no jumper setting for slave as well.....but when I scrolled down further on the Samsung site....you may need a jumper over the slave pin.....

But, the fact that it was working before without one......let us know :)

http://samsungelectronics.com/hdd/support/faqs/faq_52.html

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice