1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios auto recovering problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angelonico, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelonico

angelonico Thread Starter

Using Windows XP Service Pack 3. When I try adding a 512MB DDR 400mhz RAM stick I get an error message ' scanning BIOS image in hardrive detects floppy Drive A Media Bios Auto recovering' and the computer then turns of. At the moment I have 3 sticks of 512mb RAM. But wnen I try to add another 512MB stick this bios auto recoveing message appears. The computer has 4 slots of 512mb ram available. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Are you certain the ram is correct I have NOT checked but is it EEC (Error Correction Code) or Non EEC and which is required.
    2. You have not flashed the BIOS have you.
    3. Are the existing three sticks good.
    4. Do you know the one you are adding to be good.

This MAY help
    How to Spot Problems and Find Solutions

After installing the new RAM, if the RAM is not recognized by your system, or if you get a long beep or sequence of beeps at startup, you'll have to do some troubleshooting. Most problems are caused by purchasing the wrong memory, installing it incorrectly, or damaging the memory module by handling it improperly.
    More advanced problems exist too, especially with older computers and when memory banks are involved. When a computer's motherboard uses memory banks, it may require that two identical modules be installed in the two slots of a single memory bank, and installing two different models will cause problems. Sometimes these banks can hold different size (in MB) modules though, as long as they are from the same manufacturer, but often they can't. To uncover and resolve these problems (both common and advanced), work through the following sections in the order presented.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Further to the above
    That Gigabyte board

The memory only needs to be in pairs if you wish it to operate in dual-channel mode. Whatever the case, though, there are timing issues depending on the FSB of the P4 that relate to the speed the modules need to run at = Quote:
    Due to chipset (Intel 875P/865G/865PE) architecture limitation, DDR 400 memory module is only supported when using FSB 800 Pentium 4 processor. A FSB 533 Pentium 4 processor will support DDR333 and DDR266 memory module. A FSB 400 Pentium 4 processor will only support DDR 266 memory module.
    When using paired modules for dual-channel operation, it's best if they are exactly matched - same brand/model (best if purchased in a kit - some models of modules can vary in the chips used).

NOTE I have not checked your processor details I suggest you DO.
    I would be careful about repeating the exercise until you have made extensive checks as it MAYBE that you will find yourself with a system that will NOT even boot to BIOS, if you try again and the BIOS does not recover.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!