Bios Beeps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bbsuperfly

Hello I have a Biostar M5ALA motherboard and I am recieving 4 beeps probably every two minutes or so. I have looked at the bios beep codes for my motherboard. 4 beeps signify's a system timer error. I have tried to remove my memory and place it back in. That was one treatment that I have heard of. Everything seemes to be working correctly on my system. Any suggestions?

If it is happening periodically though, it may be a heat warning. check to make sure that all of the fans are workin correctly.

Hi bbsuperfly!

If you have an AMI Bios then, yes, the chief suspect is the system timer.
Have you tried moving the memory chips, i.e. putting the ones you have into different slots?

This link give a few general tips on troubleshooting Motherboard failures which you might find useful.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/gen_Failure.htm

Hope this helps. If not, post back.

bbsuperfly

Fan on my power suppy and on my processor are working fine. I tried swithing my Banks and still got the same beeps. Out of ideas.

Hi again bbsuperfly.(Note recent edit)

Have you tried ALL the troubleshooting tips mentioned in that link(and its sub-links) that I posted, like selectively removing boards and peripeherals, checking all connections and leads are secure, etc? You should find plenty of ideas and ways to proceed there.

It is very unlikely, though not impossible, that the m/board needs replacing, particularly if things have been okay up to now, but diagnosis can be a painstaking task and it is best to eliminate as many possible problems as you can before resorting to this.

Remember, explore all avenues before reaching a conclusion.
If you are not comfortable with doing this I suggest you have a pro look at the system for you who can check that it is a system timer error. (I note that some sources relate 4 beeps to a memory failure in the first 64KB of memory OR a system timer error).

Keep us informed of developments and we will try to help where we can, or if you are unsure of anything.

PS - re the first 64 KB of memory...

Although you have swapped around your memory chips this first 64Kb resides in the first chip your system accesses, which may not be the first on the board. Check your manual to find out which chip that is and try re-ordering them a couple of times. If no improvements it is then likely that it IS the system timer as all your memory chips are unlikely to fail together.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online