1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Bug?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Venae, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm wondering if my BIOS is bugged or simply limited. I recently upgraded my system with some case fans and other bits (See thread: Airflow setup. Case fan and CPU cooler).

My motherboard has 8 fan connectors, 2 x CPU, 3 x Chassis, 3 x Optional.

The CPU are taken up by a Noctua NH-D14, and the 3 x Chassis & 1 x Optional have Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm fans connected to them. All the fans are 3-pin. All the fan connectors on the motherboard are 4 pin and supports PWM or Voltage control.

Here's the problem.

I can't control the RPM of these fans, no matter what adjustments I make in the BIOS, or utilities. As well as this, the BIOS and AI Suite utility only report 5 fans being connected, not 6. However HWMonitor reports all 6 fans. Strange or what?

Help!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I would assume that because your fans are only 3 pin, they can not be controlled. As far as I know (and I admit I am not really an expert) you need 4 pins for fan control.

Pin 1: Ground
    Pin 2: +12v
    Pin 3: Sensor (to detect fan speed)
    Pin 4: Control (PWM)

3. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Yes you need a 4 pin connector fan to be able to have fan control.

4. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

I'm sorry but fan rotational speed control does not require 4 pins.

3 pin fans can be controlled by lowering the input voltage sent to the fan. 4 pin fans can be controlled by pulsing the voltage, therefore lowering the fans rotational speed without loss of voltage. Control of the fans in my PC case should be ok with my BIOS since it's worked before. Also, SpeedFan is a utility that can control 3 pin fans but in my case it doesn't seem to work either.

This seems to have only happened since I replaced my CPU cooler :S

As well the other problem, where 1 of the fans isn't being reported by the BIOS, but is reported by HWMonitor.

5. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

What ever you believe. I suppose they came out with 4 pins just for fun. My motherboard manual even states that a 4 pin fan is required to control fan speed through the motherboard. What you say is possible, but defeats the purpose of having total fan control.

6. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

It's a fact, not a belief :S Please research this.

4 pin fans are simply modern, in the way they can be controlled. What your motherboard manual states, applies to your specific motherboard, which I assume does not support voltage control for 3 pin fans.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_control#Fan_types

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I know it's possible, but defeats the purpose of having complete fan control. If you have all the answers then why ask in the first place? So you can argue with the reponses????

8. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Okay, reported.

You are contradicting yourself in your first reply. I'm not even arguing, I simply disproved yours and Tanis's posts about fan control requiring 4 pins. And I'm asking for help here because I don't have all the answers =)

Back on topic...

9. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I said you need a 4 pin to have fan control. In other words through the BIOS or Software to be able to set it to what you want and be able to raise and lower at will. Your theory will work but I wouldn't try it or rely on it. Start playing with the voltages and you may a: fry the fan controller on the motherboard or b: the fan itself.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Agreed, lets all settle down and get back to the topic without all the arguing.

Fan speed can indeed be done by either voltage control(2 or 3 wire fans) or PWM for 4(or 3) wire fans.

If this problem started only after changing the cooler, maybe try resetting the BIOS using CLR CMOS jumper.

Do you have latest BIOS and AI Suite installed from the Asus website: http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/#download

11. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Hi!

I've reset the BIOS twice so far. Once using the CLR CMOS jumper, and a button on the I/O panel. I'll try it again, once I make a backup of the BIOS settings, just managed to get a stable overclock (I reset the BIOS before attempting the overclock :p).

I have the latest BIOS version installed, 1703. As for AI Suite II, i had to look around for the latest compatible version, since I'm running Windows 8 and there wasn't one listed on the support page for my motherboard. The one I have installed is 2.01.01 but... I just did some digging and came up with newer versions. Not sure if AI Suite is something that's tailored for each motherboard though..

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/323055-12-ai_suite_ii-windows-update

Will update once installed.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check in the BIOS if there's an option to switch the fan control method, apparently some motherboards have this setting, it may have reverted to PWM. Is Q-Fan Control enabled? Also looks like the 3 optional fans have options to have fan control enabled/disabled, check that all three are enabled.

13. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Ok, installed AI Suite, although it didn't make any changes (exactly same version and file size) I installed it anyway.

Went into BIOS and surprisingly all the fans are reporting RPM. Disabled and re-enabled Q-Fan control for CPU and Chassis and the fans were affected! Yay!

The fan installed on one of the optional connectors though didn't like that. If I set it to either duty or user mode, it didn't report in the BIOS after changed were saved and restarted, so I just left it as disabled under fan control.

Now AI Suite keeps warning about weird voltage readings for DRAM, CPU/NB and HT. I'm not sure if these are actually true, since they only appear for a short while and the voltages read fine at the same time in HWMonitor. :S

Hopefully I haven't solved one problem, and caused another.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How are those voltages set in the BIOS? Auto or manually set? May just want to set them manually to what they should be.

Also, maybe that one optional fan, or one of the fans is causing these problem, maybe drawing too much current or maybe a faulty/damaged fan header or circuit.

15. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

All the voltages are auto controlled except for CPU Vcore.

I think I'll have to do trial and error by disconnecting all the fans and reconnect them one by one.

Just as I was typing this reply, AI Suite showed more warnings and I managed to screenshot it.

http://i50.tinypic.com/wj9oi1.png

Just noticed something on HWMonitor, max column...

CPU & DRAM OV.

CPU I can understand since I guess the overclock wasn't as stable as it seemed to be (although i had prime95 running for hours). But DRAM shouldn't be affected since I didn't touch the HT... Oh well, back to the drawing board :S

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice