1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios change by it self in default settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matrix4, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matrix4

matrix4 Thread Starter

hi there!
    can anybody tell me please,why
    my bios change by it self in default settings(at least once a months.)i changed the cmos battery allraedy.
    thanks for awnser.
    matrix4

2. djrock

djrock

Hello matrix4 If your overclocking your system it can make it go back to default settings. If you overclock too high a setting say for your cpu it can cause it.

3. matrix4

matrix4 Thread Starter

hi djrock!
    i do not overclock.
    amd 1700xp
    windows xp pro

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you say the bios goes back to defaults, what always changes? The date? Hardware info? Both?

5. matrix4

matrix4 Thread Starter

yes. clock hardware info everything

6. djrock

djrock

Is your computer connected to a surge protector because may be a surge could cause this not very sure if this would happen.

djrock

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Surges/power loses will sure do it. Does the computer per chance crash before this happens?

Also what voltages/temps does the BIOS report?

It could also be a compatiblity issue with a card in the system.
    Many Bios' revert back to defualts if a boot attempt fails.

8. matrix4

matrix4 Thread Starter

hi !
    the pc does not crash before this happens.
    how can i find this other things out?
    what is a surge protector?
    thanks for help.

9. djrock

djrock

Goto http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector1.htm to find out how a surge protector works. Its a good piece of equipment to buy. But it does not stop your computer getting damage from a blackouts. A Universal Power Supply will stop this but they cost alot of money.

Belkin is meant to make a good surge protector. They will replace the surge protector if it damages its self protecting your equipment. They have high connected equipment warranty so they will replace or fix your equipment if its damage while connected to it up to the connected equipment warranty money. They have high spike and joules ratings. The higher the better.

www.belkin.co.uk
    www.belkin.com

10. pronute

pronute

I had this happen to me before it's usually happens in a poorly ventilated case where condensation builds up on the contact points of the battery cradle corroding the contacts, however they where very old boards, one time I had a brand new motherboard that had a dry solder joint on the cradle I returned it for exchange. And also excessive heat inside the case could cause this by heating the battery up making it expand, then when it cools and contracts it looses contact discharging CMOS.

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Could be a @$#%@#$ PCCHIPS motherboard.

12. djrock

djrock

What is wrong with PCCHIPS motherboards? I have one in my 500MHz system and its not very stable is that one reason.

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I bought a few two years ago.. Never again. Had all kinds of mishaps with them. :mad:

14. djrock

djrock

My one has onboard sound C-media and everytime the click sound was played like back and forward from web pages it crash explorer. It takes ages to find the right driver to fix it i think it was a windows 95 driver fix it. The new drivers did the same.

My new system has a epox motherboard it has never crashed or blue screened. Ok it has. Only if you do something stupid.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/174759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice