1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios chip

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boothbay, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Got a message as I was on the web after being stopped..."checksum error..check Bios chip, maybe bad"...How does one find this chip? i do not even know what it looks like as i search my MB. I have my MB diagram and do not see anything that is referred to the bios chip. My MB is P4800S Asus. In the meantime my desktop is 'dead'..all I get is a black screen and after about 30 secs it shuts itself off.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a pic of your mb with the bios chip circled. Honestly that old of a mb is not worth putting any money into fixing. It is long past it's useful life.

Attached Files:

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Thank you..I agree with you 100% but, I like to do some tweaking, besides getting a new MB, what happens to all my periphials...2 ide HD's, DVD, PCI TV tuner, AGP video card and sound card. I'm a senior ( no excuse ) but for what i use the pc for, this suits me...BTW, i am writing this on my Acer Win 7 net book...and i love XP on my desktop If the repair of the chip won't work, then i will have to find another ATX MB with those same slots. Thanks again.

BTW, that area you circled is shown as Audio internal connectors, and right next to it is an FP Audio1 and next to that saya Modem, according to my MB diagram...is there any wording that should identify a BIOS Chip?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably just need to replace the CMOS battery, a commonly available CR2032 coin battery and re-setup the BIOS settings.

That message commonly comes up on Asus motherboards when the battery dies or just randonly on many Asus motherboards. Don't replace the BIOS chip.

Also, if you look at the picture the item circled is a removal chip not an audio header. Your motherboard may be a slightly different version. Also, the motherboard model you posted is incorrect and not a valid Asus model; you likely have one of the Asus P4S800 models.

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

>>>>

Again the manual shows those writings i wrote. I don't even know what a Bios Chip looks like. you would think that they would write it as such, and finally, I presumed u did not read my OP...I say it there quite clearly its an Ausus P4800S MB. This morning I was checking that area circled and noticed some dirt which I vacummed and removed all of my perifials , with the exception of my HD, started the boot segment and this time and for the first time, the power kept running beyond the 30 seconds before when it would stop on its own. I had to shut it off..so I am hoping that is a good sign. I did not have my video card installed, so it was not connected to my monitor. I installed the V Card and again it ran long enough that I had to shut it off. I was wondering if I can install my next card..sound, again without the monitor, and this way by process of elimination, I may find the one that is the cause of this problem. I guess after installing each card, and it shuts itself off, then that is the one bad unit. I am not hearing any beeps so far. I'm including a photo i took with my macro camera of that circle area.

Attached Files:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I did in fact read your post and saw P4800S written however according to what I know about Asus model numbers and what they list on their website no such P4800S motherboard exists according to Asus. What is the model number printed between the black and white slots on the motherboard? Post a picture of what it is printed there.

If you're not getting any video that is the first thing to get working, then from there you can move on to other devices such as the sound card.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also, have you tried another power supply? A weak or partially failing power supply could also account for the issues and why is stays running with less cards/devices connected.

8. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

before i came to this forum, I went first to Asus web site. They acknowledged that MB. I also have the MB manual that came with my unit, that has in large letters P4800S. I would gladly show a photo of it, if you feel its necessary...as for my continuing frustration of my unit...still bad news for me.. This time i connected to the monitor and still nothing and it shuts down by itself again. It ran longer when I was tweaking the unit on its side on my table. So which is it.. P S U or M B or both?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be either. The board is old enough that is could also be affected by the bad capacitor plague. Check the capacitors for bulging tops or for any gunk leaking from the tops or bottoms as shown here: https://www.google.ca/search?q=bad+...yEerK2gXYyYHgCA&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=774
    Power supply is easy to rule out, try another power supply; maybe you can borrow one from another computer or a friend.

If the BIOS chip is faulty then it will need to be replaced but as crjdriver mentioned it is an pretty old system and putting money into it might not be the right move.

And yes, please post the picture of the motherboard with the model number showing between the two slots.

10. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Caps look good to the best of my knowledge judging by your photos..thanks. Here is the only info shown on the M B. I haven't tried yet with any of the memory sticks...does that matter?

Attached Files:

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you clean the board with a can of air, you should be able to see the model# silkscreened on the board. It will look like this pic. The # is circled in red.

Attached Files:

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The sticker in the photo you posted shows the model number as P4P800S.
    In the first picture you posted I can partially see the model number in white text between the black AGP slot and the white PCI slot but it'll probably be the same one.

The BIOS chip on that one is in a different location, it's near the CMOS battery and has silver sticker on it.

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

Even something that says "BIOS error" might be something else entirely...corroded trace...blown resistor...tiny solder cracks/separations...

At some point, you have to weigh the time and cost of a repair/diagnosis with just replacing it.

14. prunejuice

prunejuice

^^^^^^^
    this

15. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I agree, i need to find a MB that would make me have use of my perifphials which takes a AGP video board and the rest... tv tuner, modem, sound card and etc that uses a pci slot. If not then we talking big bucks which i cannot afford. My net book comes in handy in situations like these but i rather use my desktop. What if its only a p s u that needs to be replaced...that would be my next test. I k now I should look for similar power for this MB, but if i am going to update a MB, which I know exist for my slots that I need, it may need a more powerful P S U. This one has 420 max

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice