1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios chip

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MAXPING, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MAXPING

MAXPING Thread Starter

I have a ASUS motherboard ( A7A 266-E ) with a 1011 bios and a 1700+ athlon.
    I have been told i need the 1012 bios if i want to put a faster cpu in.
    I dont want to flash the bios as with my luck i would end up with a pile of scrap so i was wondering if i can buy a bios chip with the updated bios on it and install it myself. ( the bios can be taken out of the mobo )
    I have looked on the website but the u.k. one has not been finished and i cannot get the others to work.
    Has anyone here done this upgrade and has anyone got any suppliers i could contact ?
    Thanks.
    Dez.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

Your best bet would be to simply flash the BIOS.

The directions are fairly straight forward. If you go "Step-By Step" following the instructions, It will ask you to backup the current BIOS before proceding.

The only real way to have things go wrong is if the Power to the computer goes out while the BIOS flash is running.

HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF!

ST

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Last time I flashed an Asus board, it reported flash successful, then it reported "cpu test failed" and has ever since. Unfortunately, I'd buy a new motherboard rather than buying the bios chip if you can find one. Normally after the price of the bios chip and shipping, you pretty close to the cost of a new board. Hint: Check the refurb boards at NewEgg, most of the time all the accessories are with them even though NewEgg states they may be missing accessories.

Seems you and me both, have problems with flashing a bios. Had three PC's die due to bios flashes.

4. sdc

sdc Guest

5. MAXPING

MAXPING Thread Starter

Thanks for that, i wont be flashing as i would mess it up for sure , i would rather sell it on ebay and put the money towards a better board.
    I saw a post somewhare that said you can get the chip for $9 so thatll be about £6 ish and i would be happy to pay that if i could find one .

6. MAXPING

MAXPING Thread Starter

Thanks for the link and now it has confirmed a suspicion i had as you can see it says MAX CPU 1.4 ATHLON !
    I am running a 1700+ ATHLON so how is it working.
    BTW i could not find any info where to get a chip on the site.

The ASUS A7A266-E is a Socket A DDR motherboard based on the ALi® M1647 chipset. In addition to significantly enhancing system performance with support of the latest UltraDMA/133/100, DDR DRAM, the ASUS A7A266-E offers flexibility by also supporting PC133 SDRAM. AMD® Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron processors of 500MHz up to 1.4GHz+ will benefit from the optimal performance delivered by this ATX motherboard, and you'll effortlessly power through today's most demanding applications like never before.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Updating the bios is quite easy and straightforward. Download the bios file you need and copy it along with the awardflash utility to a boot disk. When flashing a bios I use the drdos disk from http://bootdisk.com/
    This disk is just for flashing a bios, no autoexec.bat, no config.sys, no memory managers. Follow directions carefully and you should not have a problem. I have flashed well over 100 bios and never had any problems. In the unlikely event of a bad flash, I have instructions for recovering your bios; even if you have no video output. Post back if you need more help.

8. MAXPING

MAXPING Thread Starter

Thanks i will give it some thought.
    I am still a bit wary as you probably were the first time you flashed bios but i will probably go for it !

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first time it can be daunting; most of the problems I see are from people trying to flash their bios with a win9x boot disk. Most mb mgfs tell you in their instructions not to use a boot disk with an autoexec.bat, config.sys, memory manager; just pure dos. Some of the newer boards have a utility built into the bios for flashing; you just copy the .bin file to a floppy with nothing else on the disk. When you restart the computer you hit a key or series of keys; the bios flash is done for you.
    One thing I never do is flash the bios from within windows, even though some mgfs have a utility you can download for doing just that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/146164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice