1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios defaults loading even if i save

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnlsinn, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnlsinn

johnlsinn Thread Starter

the computer is a gateway desktop, pentium 3 800mhz. when i reboot a message comes up, "cmos settings invalid" and gives the option to press f9 to load default bios settings or f1 run setup. if you hit f9 to load bios defaults... it says that the hard drive is not found consult trouble shooting section of the users manual, hit enter to continue without a harddrive or esc to not see this message again. if you hit f1 to run setup... i find sometimes that the clock has been reset to jan. 1 1990 and everytime everything else has been set to default including admin password and user password. any changes made and saved are reset when i save and exit the setup. i checked the bios jumper and pin 1 and 2 are jumpered for normal operation. 2 and 3 are to clear the bios and they are not jumpered. the error beep code is 2 short and 1 long. thx

2. danielno8

danielno8

you need a new CMOS battery!!!

lucky they're cheap!!

3. johnlsinn

johnlsinn Thread Starter

I did put a brand new cmos battery in but, ill check it with a meter.

I also noticed that the date changes when you shut down for longer than a couple of seconds. not just resetting to the original bios date but a different date everytime, from 1901 to 2001.

Also, the bios sees the hard drive (using the auto detect) but then, while booting, the hard drive cant be found. even when i choose the "disable", or change any other settings in the bios and save and exit, it reboots and beeps 2 short and 1 long beep then says that "the cmos settings are wrong" and to "run setup" or to "load bios defaults" and "continue." and it starts all over again.

4. Rache

Rache Banned

If battery's ok - check seating, i'd suggest a thoro virus scan.

5. exocet

exocet

it does mention that it cannot find the harddrive. Have you verified the jumper settings on the back of the harddrive. If it's a single disk, you'll want it set to master. Also, have you tried replacing the IDE cable to the harddrive?

6. johnlsinn

johnlsinn Thread Starter

there have been no changes in the hd configuration physically.

i checked the seating on everything, the only card is a video card, everything else is integrated on the mb.

i didnt have an extra ide cable with me but the hd is alone on the primary ide and the cdrom is alone on the secondary ide so i switched cables. same results

i have to try: put a meter on the battery and verify power,
    get new ide cable and try that

7. johnlsinn

johnlsinn Thread Starter

Well I sent this one back to gateway. It was under warranty. Ill let you know what they say.
    Thanx

8. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

Had the same problem on a Compaq Presario and spent several days following up on suggestions from Compaq and others.

Eventually found, by my own investigations, that when I replaced the jumper after resetting the BIOS I inadvertantly inserted the jumper in the wrong way around (upside down).

The electrical connection was therefore not being made and hence the CMOS battery was not able to kick in and allow the changes to be saved.

Not suggesting that is the case with you but it might be worth checking when you get the computer back and the experts at Gateway have not been able to spot it.

9. johnlsinn

johnlsinn Thread Starter

i thought of that too, the jumper is supposed to go in with the notches up so that they may be used to grip it. I turned it upside down and the same thing happened. But now that you mention it, i probably should have tried a different jumper all together because it sure acts like thats the problem. thx

10. johnlsinn

johnlsinn Thread Starter

It was the mother board, at least that is what gateway replaced to make it work.

there must be some piece of equipment that i could have or some software to run that will tell me when it is the mother board that is messing up. ??

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice