1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS detects 160Gb hard drive, XP does not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eVILRigby, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi!
    well my BIOS detects my additional 160 Gb hard drive (set as slave on the same cable to the master C:) and sets it to 137.4Gb which is the first issue. Why 137.4Gb? But the main problem is XP does not detect my drive at all. What do I need to do to achieve this? I am running SP2 fully updated in terms of the security updated but I've never particularly bothered with other XP updates.
    Hope you can help!

Regards,
    eVIL R

2. saikee

saikee

XP need SP1 to see beyond the 137Gb barrier.

The factory disk is not formatted and as such cannot be seen by XP. To format it

Right click My computer/Manage/Storage/Disk Management, select the drive and click format.

Afterward XP can see it.

Can't remember how many times I answer exactly the same thing. One can search for the same answer and may learn something.

3. jb24

jb24

Hi eVIL R,
    thats weird, I came here to post about the exact same problem :eek: No help to you but at least you know you are not alone ;)

4. saikee

saikee

It is a fundamental knowledge a disk must be formatted before it can be used. If XP couldn't see it and it is new then one can put 1 and 1 together :confused: to make 2 (y) .

The 137Gb barrier is a well known limitation to XP and SP1 update is to cure it, among with other things like the USB drivers.

People can get sick :eek: of answering the same thing too.

5. jb24

jb24

Hi saikee,
    i don't have an option to format the new disk. Originally in the properties window it stated the disk was not initialized, so i initialized it, now it states it is not allocated (but it is online).

6. saikee

saikee

Sometimes XP will take you by the hand to initialize/format the disk but the basic steps have not changed since the consumer hard disk was invented. It is the same on all operating systems too. It pays to know these things, like slavery has not been abolished for hard disks yet.

7. jb24

jb24

So, any idea why I can't see it in windows explorer?

8. jb24

jb24

So, any idea why I can't see it in windows explorer?

9. saikee

saikee

If you open a window for Explorer and then another one to follow the instructions of my first post here, then you will not be able to record the time taken between the new drive letter pop up in the first windows and the completion in the formatting in the second window.

Read this thread to find out why.

10. jb24

jb24

Opening a new window for explorer does not work either, I still can not see the new disk there.
    In disk management the disk is 'online' and 'unallocated'. Disk type is 'basic'.

11. saikee

saikee

Unallocated means not been formatted and cannot be read.

If you allocate the space that means you want a drive (or a partition) from the unallocated space. You can select any size you want too and keep on dividing up the hard disk into partitions. I have one with 41 partitions.

XP always assume you want it to format the partition after the creation but you can choose not to if it is for another operating system. The default file type chosen by XP is NTFS system.

Do you have a problem to select or highlight the new drive and click format?

12. jb24

jb24

Yes I do have a problem selecting the drive and clicking format. In the computer management window the drive is not shown in the top half of the window, only in the bottom where the CD drives are also shown.

13. saikee

saikee

OK

I just tested my memory flash stick in a Win2k machine by simulating your condition.

Try right click your unallocated hard disk to creat a partition and keep on clicking the defaults and you should end up with a workable hard drive in Windows.

14. jb24

jb24

RIght clicking on the unallocated disk gives me the following options:

upgrade to dynamic disk
    properties
    help

No option to create a partition...

15. saikee

saikee

You did say you have initialized the drive.

Take a look at this site to decide on what you want.

There are instructions for you to go for "basic" or "dynamic" disk.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!