1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios does not recognize hard drive or DVD drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beekmonster, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beekmonster

Beekmonster Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7 desktop. Recently received error message "excessive environmental temperature". Cleaned out a couple of years of dust. Removed CPU heatsink blew out and reinstalled thermal compound and replaced heatsink and fan. Rebooted and no overheat message, but now Bios does not recognize dvd drive or the HDD. I removed dvd drive and tried in another pc and works fine. I even installed a new hard drive, same problem. I only receive this message: Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key" Ive unplugged and reinserted SATA plugs on both drives with nothing new Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. replay

replay

try to reset bios with jumper on mobo......or pull out the battery and reinstall

3. Beekmonster

I already pulled battery which was at 3.1volts. how do I reset motherboard with jumper?

4. replay

replay

If u pulled the battery on the mobo.........then reinserted it,your bios has been reset

5. Beekmonster

What about bios drivers, could they not be recognized? possible they need to be reinstalled? or is the mother board fried? Any suggestions would be great

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are no drivers for your bios.

It would help greatly if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Note do not post "500W" pw supply; post the exact make and model#

7. Beekmonster

sorry if I didn't give enough info. Here's what I have:
    Hp Pavillion p6310y desktop pc
    6144 MB Pc3-8500 RAM DDR3
    Bestec power supply model ATX0300D5WC
    Runninng windows 7 64 bit

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, that msg is normal since there is nothing on the new hard disk ie no os, etc.

Go back and install your old hard drive ie the one with windows, etc on it. Make sure the pw and data cables are fully seated. Pw ON and see what happens.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it does not work after the old drive is connected, then the only options are you damaged something while working in the case OR parts have failed.

I can tell you that bestec pw supplies are absolute junk and it should be replaced in any case. Very often when a bestec fails, it takes out the mb and or other parts.

10. Beekmonster

replaced original hard drive, no change. If it was the bestic failing would I still be able to hear hard drive start to spin and grind then stop?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I think there is some misunderstanding. Did you install windows on the new drive?

I am not saying your pw supply failed. I am saying bestec is junk and should be replaced regardless.

12. Beekmonster

I was going to install windows on the new drive, but I could not do that because of the issue I'm having currently. I was doing so because I thought it was the original hard drive that was the problem. At the time I did not notice that the DVD drive was not being recognized in Bios either.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is normal to get the "reboot and select boot device" msg when you installed the new hard drive. There is nothing on the drive ie no os so yes you will get that msg.

Go back and recheck connections. If you are sure everything is connected correctly, restart and enter the bios. Is the new hard drive detected in the bios?
    The specs on that system that I found online show a sata hd and sata optical drive so no need for jumper setting.

14. Beekmonster

I was getting the message on the original hard drive with the os on it. I did recheck everything, and still shows no hard drive installed or cd rom drive.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well at this point, I would do the following to see if you damaged something while working inside the case. It is also possible that the highly dependable bestec pw supply has damaged the mb, etc. This is a VERY real possibility.
    Download and make a bootable usb linux mint. Use the system you are on now to make the bootable usb. There are numerous programs to make a bootable usb from the iso file; here is one.
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Once done, plug in the bootable usb drive and pw ON. Enter the bios and set it to boot from the usb. Save settings and restart. If it starts fine under linux, then you know the mb, pw supply, etc are most likely ok. If it does not boot and or run fine under linux, then you know you have a mb, ram, pw supply, etc problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice