Bios does not recognize secondary HD after a warm reboot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chemistkenra

Last year, I replaced my secondary hard drive (WD 120GB) with a newer 200GB WD drive. Ever since that time, I've found that while the bios has no trouble recognizing the 2nd HD after a cold boot, it always fails to recognize it (garbage shows up in the HD description during POST) after a warm boot. I always have to power off the computer for a few seconds in order for the drive to be round correctly. I've heard of drives that take a long time to spin up and thus only work after a warm boot, but I've never heard of this. Any thoughts?

Ken

Some BIOSs won't recognize such a large drive. You will have to partition it into 2 logical drives. In the past, I've used software downloaded from the manufacturer's website to do this. I understand XP can do it also. You will need to check with Microsoft tech support website and download a blurb for this.

crjdriver

If it is in fact a bios problem, partitioning the drive will have no effect on the bios. The bios must still recognize the physical drive; the number of partitions is irrelevant.

Post exactly what mb you have installed or the make and model number [if pre-built]

In addition did you install a bios overlay when installing the drive? These are often installed when you use the mfg's install utility.

chemistkenra

The motherboard is the MSI 6330 (Lite version) which I think is KT266. I don't believe I installed a bios overlay, but it's possible. I've installed a fair number of HDs at home or at work and so I cannot be absolutely sure. Thanks.

crjdriver

There is an update for your bios to recognize large hd. BTW that is a kt133a chipset. Here is the link

chemistkenra

Thanks, crjdriver, I'll try that when I get home tonight. However, I'm wondering if that would really help. After all, it's not like the mb is having trouble working with the disk after a cold boot. It's only after a warm boot that it has difficulty, which sounds more like a timing problem. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online