1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS doesn't recognize USB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoshRod, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

I'm trying to boot from a USB so that I may install Ubuntu. My PC is the Dell Dimension 4600C and I checked their documentary; I'm able to boot up from a USB, although there's no option in the "Boot Menu". No, I do not have a CD/floppy drive that I can use. Would anybody happen to know why it won't boot up? The USB is formatted to FAT32 so I'm unsure as to why it isn't being recognized through the BIOS/Boot Menu.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

It's not supported, not enabled, unsupported hardware, or the device is not formatted/configured to meet their criteria. If you have the documentation, I would expect it to list what is/isn't supported.

3. Hughv

Hughv

From the Dell site:
    "Insert the memory device into a USB port and restart the computer. When F12 = Boot Menu appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press <F12>. The BIOS detects the device and adds the USB flash option to the boot menu.

NOTE: To boot to a USB device, the device must be bootable. To ensure that your device is bootable, check the device documentation."

4. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

5. mattistech

mattistech

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013367