1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Flash CD Not Working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnnycups, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnycups

johnnycups Thread Starter

Hi,
    My pcie slot was no longer recognizing my video card and after alot of troubleshooting I discovered my BIOS was jacked up. I have no idea how that happened, but that's beside the point.
    So I just ordered a new BIOS flash for my Phoenix Award BIOS from BIOS Agent Plus. I burned the I.S.O. it provided to CD and rebooted my p.c. from the CD drive. The instructions provided with the upgrade said that the flash should start automatically. It didn't.
    Instead it went to a list of command prompts numbered 1-6 with the first option being "begin flash now", the others were begin flash in case of different errors and the last were help and exit. So i held my breath and hit 1 enter. It instantly said the flash was complete and then went to a DOS line prompt for drive a. I Ctrl Alt Deleted out of it back to Cmos and booted from my hard drive. Windows started normally and the flash definitely didn't work. I tried a couple more times, same thing.
    There is nothing listed (surprisingly) in the FAQ's for this type of situation and I don't see it on the web anywhere so far, but I'm still researching. I really don't want to buy a floppy drive just for this. I'm going to call tech support tomorrow, but in the meantime, any suggestions?:confused:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Does the motherboard manufacturer not have a BIOS for the board? What Brand/Model is the board?

Floppy drives are dirt cheap and make BIOS flashes very simple.

3. johnnycups

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to stuff like this. This is the first time I've ever even accessed my BIOS:eek:.
    Motherboard: FIC K2BC51 by Phoenix Technologies.
    I went to the Phoenix site and it directs you to Bios Agent Plus to order any upgrade or flash. I already tried upgrading the BIOS from my p.c.'s (Gateway GT5228) site. It worked, but didn't solve my problem. I still didn't have the menus in Cmos I was supposed to have (especially the menus in Advanced Chipset Devices for pcie options). BIOS Agent detected that my BIOS version was bad and the flash version number is totally different from the one Gateway provided.
    The instructions say that you can do it from a cd, but I was guessing I'd have to do it on a floppy to get it to work, especially after what you just said. Do you think I should just go ahead and get a floppy drive and flash from it instead?

4. johnnycups

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Gateway, and other OEM's us a proprietary BIOS . . it might say Pophenix, but is is modified. You should always use the manufacturers BIOS

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults by disconnecting from power and removing the mother board battery for a hour?

6. johnnycups

ok, that makes sense, because I looked up the manual for the phoenix bios version that shows on my start screen, and it is totally different from what i actually have. Confused the hell out of me.
    I have already tried disconnected power and took my battery out for about 20 mins. i had to reset the clock and date. wasn't aware that I had to leave it out for an hour. But I guess I'll try that next.

1. So I shouldn't be concerned that my version of bios has way more limited selection in menus (again, my main concern is the option to select pcie)? Because now I'm starting to lean towards the psu as the culprit. I haven't changed that yet, but the more I research, the more I think that might be the actual problem. Although I have seen a couple of instances in other forums with the same exact problem not being solved by a new, higher wattage psu.

2. Should I disregard the bios flash sent to me by BIOS Agent then, even though they reviewed it (an actual human being, since it took over 12 hours to recieve via email) and should know that I have an OEM mobo?

I think I'm in slightly over my head here, but I haven't had a problem I couldn't fix yet if I research enough. I don't want to let this one beat me, but info out there is pretty limited on this.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

8. johnnycups

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try a few more things and ask alot more questions before I mess with BIOS.

9. johnnycups

Took out the battery, waited over an hour, replaced it. Put in a new 450w dual 12v rail psu. pcie graphics card (ati radeon x1600 pro) still won't work. Only get video from my integrated card. I know my ati card isn't bad because I bought a brand new nvidia 8600 gt and put it in right out of the box a few weeks agao and had the same problem. My original problem was my ati card stopped working one day out of the blue. So I switched to my onboard graphics, removed all my ati drivers etc. re-installed the card, drivers, etc. and graphics worked fine again. after a few reboots no video again. redid uninstall install, card worked. rebooted once, no video, now I've tried using the card over and over and can't get anything to work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and updating everything I can think of short of flashing the bios, which I'm going to hold off on. Like I say, I've seen this problem reported a few times on the web and haven't seen a clear cut solution posted yet. Frustrating as hell.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you disabled the onboard video in BIOS?

11. johnnycups

lol, that is the main part of my problem. I don't have the option to do that in bios. Under advanced chip set I only have the options to change frame buffer, cpu spread etc. and that's it. I've scoured my bios (and there's not that much to scour) for any video options, especially those concerning pcie and there are none. That's why I wanted to try a bios flash in the first place to try and get those menu options.:eek: Short of that I'm considering just doing a complete system restore and starting from scratch.

Btw, when I first installed the ati card over a year ago (and on subsequent re-installs) it automatically overrode my onboard chip on windows starup.

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

It will usually overide the onboard video, but when you have the problems you are seeing, it may not be doing that

13. johnnycups

Yeah, that's what I've seen in other forums as well, but like I say, I don't have that option so........

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice