1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Flash, Gigabyte mb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Topgun505, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topgun505

Topgun505 Thread Starter

Ok ... here is my current rig.

Gigabyte GA-7DXR motherboard
    (Can be seen at http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-7DXR.htm )

Socket A, Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 GHz CPU
    1 GB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
    1 Maxtor 80 GB 7200 rpm hd
    Soundblaster Audigy Platinum audio card
    Visiontek Xtasy GeForce4 TI 4600 128 MB Video card
    350 or 400 watt power supply (for the life of me I can't remember)

At the moment I am looking to do some upgrades. Primarily I want to speed it up. I looked on the Gigabyte website for CPUs and according to the site the fastest CPU that motherboard can handle will be an AthlonXP 2600+ From the looks of it though it will require a BIOS flash in order to do it.

I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know of any great/bad aspects of the AthlonXP 2600+ chip?

2. What would be the best CPU heat-sink/fan solution for it?

3. Would 350 watts be enough between the video card and that CPU or will I need to upgrade the powersupply as well?

4. I checked the BIOS version on my system and I have F8 which has the correct drivers/settings to be able to run AthlonXP 2000+ Would I be better off just getting a AthlonXP 2000+ and not have to mess with the BIOS flash or should I go for the AthlonXP 2600+ and upgrade the BIOS? (I'm not sure how touchy Gigabyte motherboards are for BIOS flashing, have never done one before and don't want to mess this one up as it's my main PC at home).

5. If I want to go for the BIOS flash there are a couple of different utilities on Gigabytes page. One is QFlash and another is @BIOS. Anyone have any experience using these utilities? Which is better? Also. On the BIOS page of the site they list the most recent version as F10 and can download it (which I have). But it is an exe file. Is it as simple as throwing that exe on to the desktop of that computer and just running it or does a BIOS Flash utility still have to be used?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Unless gigabyte has changed the way their bios flashes work you would need to put a floppy in you machine and run the exe which will write to the floppy. Then you flash with the floppy.
    Do they not have a read me file or directions on the site?
    The 2600+ is a good processor. So are the 2500+ and the 2400+. If you run the 2600 or the 2500 you need at least 2700 ram to get the full effect.
    They run at 333 FSB and the 2100 ram won't do it.
    The 2400+ is designed to run at 266 FSB which the 2100 ram will do.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

And your PSU should be fine if it is OK now. You can run a stock sink, or get after market.

4. WarC

WarC

Make sure your 2600+ is the Barton core, it is a lot better than comparable Athlon XPs with the Thoroughbred core.

350 to 400 watts is good for your system, as long as the powersupply is of a reputable company like Antec, Enermax, Enlight, etc...Avoid cheapies.

5. Arky

Arky

6. Topgun505

Topgun505 Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't need to speed the rig up by a huge amount so I'm thinking I am going to just find a AthlonXP 2000+ for the moment since I think I already have a heat sink on hand that will work with that. Heck the one I'm using now might work. Plus it will be easier on the wallet and won't require a BIOS flash so less possibility of a fubar. Once I get some more $$$ and get another rig established then I can mess with this one more.

I do have 1 other question though. I heard a tech at the local shop talking about thermal pads vs thermal paste vs thermal grease not too long ago to another customer and what he stated to the him I found kind of suspect but didn't jump in to the conversation. He stated that thermal grease like Artic Silver were good for workshops that need to mount heat sinks to CPUs temporarily but it shouldn't be used for a permanent solution to a rig as it can boil/evaporate/melt/wear off the CPU die and eventually leave it partially or fully exposed. He suggested to just use the standard thermal pad that came on the heat sink from the factory instead. Any truth to this? I always heard Artic Silver was some of the best stuff around.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The guy "tech" doesn't know what he is talking about. Use the grease, AS5 is great stuff.

8. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

AS5 is the best on the market goop.

There were some tests done a while back that achieved better conducting by "watering" down Artic Silver with mineral oil, however the solution was so light it DID run out.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice