1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Flash? Some Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nooyawkah, Jan 11, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nooyawkah

nooyawkah Guest Thread Starter

I have an ABIT ABIT KD7,VIA KT400 mobo. I recently replaced PC 2100 RAM with PC3200 (building little grandson a system with the other). All seems to be well but I wonder about the BIOS. The ABIT website suggests downloading the latest BIOS and flash. If you'll look on the webpage I've included here, #2 ("double- check"), it shows a screen that lists which BIOS you have. The back of the mobo is inaccessable and my BIOS nowhere contains that info. I even tried to cause some sort of power error so that screen might come up. Couldn't do it.
    1. Where else can I get it?
    2. I always thought there was some risk in flashing the BIOS, True?
    3. Do I need to do this?

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    #1. To find out your bios version - it should tell you during post (where it does the memory count). You may have to hit esc or tab to remove a logo if you have one.

#2. You can render you motherboard useless with an incorrect bios. Or if the power goes out or if the bios is corrupted in any way - same result.

#3. You only need a bios update if your computer is not running right because of hardware bugs or if it doesn't support a new device or feature and the update fixes that.

Always make sure to get the right bios and to read ALL instructions first if you ever do decide to flash a bios.

3. ezymony

ezymony

I wouldn't flash bios unless you are having problems a bad flash could cause your machine to be usless.

4. nooyawkah

nooyawkah Guest Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I'll pass on the BIOS.

5. monted

monted

dito,I flashed mine one time & it totally screwed mine up. Luckily I restored the original & now I got everything working with them.

6. jonasdatum

jonasdatum

Hey,

I know what it feels like to flash a BIOS for the first time. It scared me $__itless. Was afraid I wouldn't do it right. But everything turned out fine. Just follow instructions dude.

7. monted

monted

i say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

flashing isn't hard, but you MUST make sure you have the right ones,and like stated above about the only thing to worry about is a power failure. but i wouldn't flash them unless i knew that it would benefit .

8. gaftop1

gaftop1

i've got a kd7. the driver disc for the board has a flash utility built in. just install it and it'll tell whether you have current or need 'em

9. newkidtopc

newkidtopc

Hey nooyawkah,
    Its not the flashing that is difficult if u ensure the power does not get off.
    Its the after effects that come about that may be difficult to handle
    I recently flashed my bios ( and i dont know what i was thinking when i did that) and found the mouse did not work.
    Fortunately it was resolved.
    So if it isnt needed I would prefer not to do it

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice