BIOS Flash? Some Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
N

nooyawkah

I have an ABIT ABIT KD7,VIA KT400 mobo. I recently replaced PC 2100 RAM with PC3200 (building little grandson a system with the other). All seems to be well but I wonder about the BIOS. The ABIT website suggests downloading the latest BIOS and flash. If you'll look on the webpage I've included here, #2 ("double- check"), it shows a screen that lists which BIOS you have. The back of the mobo is inaccessable and my BIOS nowhere contains that info. I even tried to cause some sort of power error so that screen might come up. Couldn't do it.
1. Where else can I get it?
2. I always thought there was some risk in flashing the BIOS, True?
3. Do I need to do this?

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm

Triple6

Rob
#1. To find out your bios version - it should tell you during post (where it does the memory count). You may have to hit esc or tab to remove a logo if you have one.

#2. You can render you motherboard useless with an incorrect bios. Or if the power goes out or if the bios is corrupted in any way - same result.

#3. You only need a bios update if your computer is not running right because of hardware bugs or if it doesn't support a new device or feature and the update fixes that.

Always make sure to get the right bios and to read ALL instructions first if you ever do decide to flash a bios.

I wouldn't flash bios unless you are having problems a bad flash could cause your machine to be usless.

dito,I flashed mine one time & it totally screwed mine up. Luckily I restored the original & now I got everything working with them.

Hey,

I know what it feels like to flash a BIOS for the first time. It scared me $__itless. Was afraid I wouldn't do it right. But everything turned out fine. Just follow instructions dude.

i say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

flashing isn't hard, but you MUST make sure you have the right ones,and like stated above about the only thing to worry about is a power failure. but i wouldn't flash them unless i knew that it would benefit .

i've got a kd7. the driver disc for the board has a flash utility built in. just install it and it'll tell whether you have current or need 'em

Hey nooyawkah,
Its not the flashing that is difficult if u ensure the power does not get off.
Its the after effects that come about that may be difficult to handle
I recently flashed my bios ( and i dont know what i was thinking when i did that) and found the mouse did not work.
Fortunately it was resolved.
So if it isnt needed I would prefer not to do it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts