1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios flashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zmaster, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zmaster

zmaster Thread Starter

This is probably not a very good issue to discuss but i thought what the hey? My friend decided to try and overclock his cpu and it backfired. His computer won't startup/boot. It turns the power supply on and flicks the light on once to the cd-rom and thats about as far as it gets. Does anyone know if it is possible to flash his bios from such an early stage or does it always have to get past the posts before you can flash the bios?

2. ratchet

ratchet

It has to get through POST and detect a Floppy Drive.

It may have zapped the Rom Chipset that is used to store BIOS.

You could try removing the Battery and looking into CMOS reset jumper on the Mother Board.

You may have to locate a shop that can flash the factory bios.

3. ratchet

ratchet

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What did he do? Did he raise the fsb [front side bus] or multiplier in the bios and then no boot or did he get it to boot and now it will not?

If it never booted at all after he changed settings, you might be able to just clear cmos and be ok.

5. zmaster

zmaster Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, you wouldn't happen to know if you can flash the bios using a cd rather then floppy disk? i have found a bios upgrade for the motherboard. i was afraid it might have to get past the POST. hmm a researching i will go

6. ratchet

ratchet

I have never heard of or thought about flashing from CD-Rom, don't think the drivers are available at that stage.

Definitely start with the simple stuff try the reset jumper and go from there.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you can flash a bios from a boot cd that you make, however you will not be able to save the old bios.

Why do you want to flash the bios? If this is a failed OC attempt, you should be able to reset the bios with a clearing of cmos. Flashing a bios sometimes resets everything to default and sometimes keeps your settings. So if your friend changed multi or fsb, it may stay there after a flash.

It is important that you DO NOT flash a bios that is OC; it must be returned to stock settings before you flash.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW it is somewhat involved making the CD to flash the bios. You will need a floppy with the boot files on it anyway, so it is generally best to flash from a floppy or the hd.

9. zmaster

zmaster Thread Starter

Thanks ratchet and crjdriver for your very helpful advice. I cleared cmos by taking out the battery and moving the jumper from normal to clear cmos and it fixed everything. his computer now works perfectly. Thankyou again for your help.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to work.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice