1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Flashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Classics, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

I flashed my BIOS and now the computer wont post.

First off I flashed a MSI 975X Platinum with a file I got off of the MSI website called "W7246IMS.140". I copied the flashing utility (AWFL859G) and the new BIOS to the RAM, and flashed. after the BIOS was flashed I was prompted to remove the floppy and press F1. I did that the system rebooted with no video.

I suppose my question is what did I do wrong, and what do I do now to fix my situation (preferably not buying a new motherboard)

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'd suggest you unplug your system and go in to motherboard, remove your cmos battery and see if you can't clear up the problem. Pull the battery out for a good 10 minutes before you reinstall and replug the computer. See if you can get into bios that way and check the settings on your Video Card. Let us know...Jazz

3. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Jazz.

I tried that before posing, unfortunately it didn't work. My system was flashed with the AWFL tool, which after looking around I discovered to be awful (hehe). Apparently it has a very poor success rate compared to other utility's.

I tried hotflashing with Uniflash on a Phoenix board, but unfortunately the corrupt BIOS (W39V080FAPZ) isn't supported by Uniflash.

So I did some research and found the site www.biosman.com. It seems like they have nothing but good things said about them. So I ordered a new chip. I'll be sure to post back on their service on this forum.

4. RealMode

RealMode

Are u sure that u got the good flash file 4 your motherboard type?DO U have onboard VGA ?!

5. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

Yep the serial number on the board matched the serial on the MSI site, and the BIOS serial was the same as the flash file. I even reset my CMOS before flashing. I don't have onboard VGA, I'm using a PCI Express Nvidia 8800 GTX (768MB) card from EVGA.

6. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

also for future reference, what is the significance of having onboard VGA to flashing? If you don't mind explaining :)

7. RealMode

RealMode

better paste the url where u dwn the bios flash file, also the MB type :)

8. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

9. RealMode

RealMode

MSI Reminds you:
    1. Because of the limitations of chipset, this MB does not support Win98/ME.
    2. Please use MSI Live BIOS tool to upgrade BIOS of this product.

10. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

LOL, that explains it. Why would they make a zip file with the bios and install tools.
    Ah, oh well. Should have my new chip in a few days.

11. jazz3000

jazz3000

That's what came to my mind first. Cheaper than a motherboard and hopefully works better than what you've got. Kept the url post and thanks for sharing it. Let us know how you fair with the new chip. Am interested...Jazz

12. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

Jazz,
    Just an update for you, I received an email from biosman stating that my order has been shipped.
    I'm in Canada so I'm expecting a few days. Will update when (if :p) I receive the new BIOS

13. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'll be excited to hear how it goes. Till then...Jazz

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Classics, may I remind you that this is a family oriented forum and profanity is not allowed. I've edited your post to remove it.

Here's the board's rules for reference: http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

15. Classics

Classics Thread Starter

Jazz,
    I'm Happy to report that my BIOSMAN delivery came in today, and I am posting this from my once expensive paperweight.

So about seven business days to ship to Canada. Not bad.

Anyways, put that in your hat for the next time some one posts about a busted BIOS.

---
    Triple6, Sorry for the infringement, won't happen again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/749425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice