1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios Flashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by napoliandynamite, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. napoliandynamite

napoliandynamite Thread Starter

Greetings,

WHile attempting to install WinXP The compatability checker said that my MoBo and video card we not compatible (!). Well anyway I contacted EVga tech support and he said that there should be no compatability issue and to swap out my Geforce2 card with another one (I had an old Rage IIc lying around) so I did this, tryed the install again, same deal. Well I emailed Asus support (in Shanghi - !) and they wrote me back (in psudeo-english) that I was to update my BIOS. Now as you can imagine, this makes me quite uneasy, as I hear all of the horror stories about bad flashings,etc, etc... I tryed balancing the cost/benefit of either having an: A-Functional, albeit dated machine, with a very crash prone OS with a piece of $100 software collecting dust, or B- Have a non functional older computer with a $100 piece of software collecting dust. BOTTOM LINE- I would like to get XP working on my stystem, but I apparently can't do it without flashing a BIOS update, and I'm nervous about doing it, not quite sure how to do it (instructions on ASUS website not the clearest) and want to know what my chances are at being successful.

If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it.. Thanx

System:

AMD K6 400
    NVidia Geforce2 Mx 200
    Asus p5a-b MoBo (socket 7)
    300 (or so) meg ram

2. brianF

brianF

there instructions aren't that bad. The important part is making the boot disk using the /s switch or just make a system disk through the floppy format command, just check copy system files.
    Then make sure your computer will boot with it.
    If all is okay follow the first part and make a back up of the current bios using the award flash progrom. ONce that's done use another formated floppy with the system files, the flash utility and the bios .bin file and follow the instructions.

Everybody gets sweaty palms doing bios flashes, I have only done a couple but they have worked

3. napoliandynamite

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but not to sound too stupid, I guess setting up the floppy's is where I get confused, I guess I need a walkthrough..

At the Dos prompt I create the bootable disc by typing "format a:/s, now it says "without creating autoexec.bat and config.sys files" do I assume these files are placed there automaticly, and do I just delete them?

And the AFLASH utility is also accessable from the dos prompt right? And I copy the AFLASH to the same floppy as the bootable disc I just created? (as above)

And I download the updated BIOS to the same disk, boot to the same, run the Flash util from the same, so everthing on 1 disk?

Sorry to sound so dumb, but I never really HAD to do this before. I guess I need to be hit over the head with it before I get it fully.

1 more area of concern, I noticed all of the BIOS updates for my MoBo were beta's. Should I be concerned there also?

4. brianF

brianF

make the floppy in windows, just put in a black floppy, go to my computer, choose the floppy drive, right click, choose format, check that box that says copy system files. It won't copy the auto and config.
    Copy the flash utility and the bios .bin to the floppy, you should be all set to go, just leave the floppy in and restart the machine, should get to the dos prompt

beta's, guess you don't have a choice. Your board is older, don't understand the beta, but what ya gonna do. If they where bad asus would have pulled them. Just means that havent' tested every possible thing with them.

hope that helps.

5. napoliandynamite

Thanks - that'll help a lot.. I don't get the beta either.. And it's dated 5/3/02 or something, so it's fairly new... I'll give it a shot..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice