1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios For Dell Gx1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bamby, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bamby

Bamby Thread Starter

Recently upgraded the Bios for Dell GX1 to A10 from A9 to find that the second CD installed on top of the case is not recognised with this BIOS version. Have tried everything but even on auto detect the second CD is not recognised. It is not a problem with the jumpers.
    Is it a matter of reverting to A9 to recognise the CD (it was previously recognised with A9) or is there some other solution, including a different BIOS upgrade that may rectify this.
    Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

2. Whitestar

Whitestar

Your best best is just to revert back to the A9 version, but keep checking to see if there is and update to the A10 that fixes the problem with the drive.

Whitestar

3. Bamby

Bamby Thread Starter

Thanks Whitestar,
    Will revert to A9 and I get the feeling you are telling me that there might become available an update at A10 that will run the extra CD?
    thanks for the quick reply.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

No he was saying that there might be a newer version out like A11 that will fix your problem. However since the GX1 computer is a pretty old computer I wouldn't expect any more bios updates to be released for it. Sometimes you need to boot a Dell up a few times with the IDE ports set to auto for the system to find and display the cdroms in the bios. You can revert back to A9 pretty easily with a Dell and see if that fixes your problem. BOL

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sometimes with bios updates you need to load system defaults first then set things how you want. Why did you update the bios? Was this an update that addressed an issue you were having? Unless the update fixes a problem or gives an increase in performance, it is best to leave it alone.

I understand that dell does recommend applying all bios updates. I just think that if it works do not mess with it.

6. Bamby

Bamby Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for this, I had no idea how helpful this forum could be.
    I can't remember what the issue was that had me go for the BIOS upgrade, but there was one. Sorry I can't think what it was now, it was so long ago.
    The IDE has me intrigued, I did a few "tweaks" to fine tune the computer and can remember doing something with the ports not in use to stop the computer searching them at start up. I think the IDE ports were included.
    Will go into computer management and see what the device manager makes of my IDE services before bothering to revert back to the old BIOS. I have some idea that the reason for going with the BIOS update was a big one.

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Are you sure that all 3 of the IDE devices you are trying to find are set to auto in the computers bios? You could set all 4 to auto and see if that makes any difference.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/230105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice