1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS gone bad?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by franksymptoms, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. franksymptoms

franksymptoms Thread Starter

I have a rather old desktop that was running Windows 98 with no problems. Recently I installed XP. Now, among other things, the computer won't run any applications with video editing or audio files; also, it won't recognize the on-board network adapter. The computer had been sitting in storage for 2 years or so.

When I attempt to run the BIOS setup utility on startup, I cannot scroll into any of the setup screens; the computer freezes up.

Someone told me that my BIOS is fried and I need to re-flash it or get another. These were guys on another board who don't sell computer stuff so at least they don't have that incentive.

Does this sound right or could it be something else?

Help me, Obi-Wan. You're my only hope.

2. TekTime

TekTime

The BIOS could be corrupt, if so a reflash could help; or a new BIOS chip may be needed, also:

1.) Bad BIOS battery, try replacing the battery and see what happens

2.) Bad motherboard, check for leaking capacitors, "funny" smells after powering on etc.

3. itsjusme

itsjusme

Did you reinstall all the drivers for that system, Motherboard chipset drivers, Video drivers, soundcard, NIC card ect...? If not, you`ll have to go to the system or MB mfgs site and get the drivers for that system/board. What is the make and model of the system, or the make and model of the motherboard?

If everything was working ok with 98, installing XP wouldn`t have anything to do with the bios setup not working. The suggestion above for changing the battery may solve that problem. You might try hitting F8 continuosly on boot to get to the boot options menu and select" Last Known good Configuration" , but i agree that the battery is probably bad. If F8 doesnt work try F5. You might also try one of the Live Linux cd`s and see if it runs ok, if it does that pretty well rules out hardware problems. Unplug any plug in cards and plug them back in (reseat them) several times, or gently clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, this will sometimes wipe any oxidation from the contacts and get them working again.

4. franksymptoms

franksymptoms Thread Starter

I have replaced the battery: no luck.

The major problem (I think) is the fact that I cannot even get to the advanced settings in my BIOS set-up. When I go to the setup, I can get into basic settings (time,date, etc) but when I try to scroll beyond that page the computer freezes up.

5. Bernardo

Bernardo

Are you running a USB keyboard?

6. TekTime

TekTime

Definitely sounds like a corrupted BIOS. With the computer being so old, I can imagine limited support, if any; for BIOS chips, BIOS updates etc.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!