1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios hangs - cannot enter setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by awrath, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awrath

awrath Thread Starter

After resolving an issue resulting from a printer installation, I was able to get my computer back to a state of normalcy, except that the CD drives were no longer found by the system.
    This is a Win 2K and there is a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW.
    So rather than do the smart thing and reinstall them via the OEM CDs, I went into the Bios and tried to tell the Bios that they were the Secondary Master and Slave drives (duh)
    So now, the system hangs, telling me that the primary slave auto detect wasn't finding anything. (Even though I didn't address that when I screwed with it.)
    I cannot even enter the BIOS setup, since the hangup occurs before the system even gets to that point.
    If I can get back to BIOS setup, I can at least reset to defaults, then figure out how to do the right thing, but for now, I'm STUCK.

It's an MSI KT3 Ultra Motherboard
    If more info is needed I can probably get it, but wanted to keep the initial post short.

Thanks for any help

2. awrath

awrath Thread Starter

I had read through similar posts here and was going to remove the battery from the motherboard for 20 mins or so to reset the BIOS.
    So I powered up and the startup hung again, so I left it for a bit and when I came back, the Bios screen was up and ready for me to reset!

Apparently, if there is a period of inactivity, the BIOS will reset itself and continue into edit mode.

I appear to be back in business without issue and strangeley enough, the reason I got into this mess - CD-RW and DVD-ROM not showing up - has also been resolved - they were detected and mapped as normal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!