Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIOS HELP!!!!!! fan very loud after updating bios

17K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Randolf34 
#1 ·
i updated my bios and the fan is now very loud on it for some reason , im not sure why here's my belarc advisor list if anyone can help me get the fan back to normal that would be very helpful!

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Packard Bell NEC SPIRIT 550
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.93 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Packard Bell NEC
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/15/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
63.95 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

COMBO IDE5232CO [CD-ROM drive]
SCSIVAX DVD/CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device

Apple iPod USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.02 GB) -- drive 0, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy 480 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 63.95 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
ashley 12/4/2005 4:57:52 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account None detected
Controllers Display
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS PCI IDE Controller None detected
Bus Adapters Multimedia
VAX347S SCSI Controller
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller None detected
Communications Other Devices
Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

See less See more
#2 ·
In generally a BIOS upgrade should not affect your fan operation. However, in some BIOS there is an option to control the fan speed based on CPU temp rather than it running all the time at the same speed. I think ASUS calls theirs Q fan. No idea if you would have something similar.

#4 ·
Yea, could be that the update reset the settings to the factory default, which means that the fan controller could be turned off or set to max on all the time.

#5 ·
Is that bios just phoenix or award-phoenix? If so, the fan monitors will be under the
last section before the hardware temp monitor section. There fans controls can be set
if the needed feature is available. That will depend on if there is monitor there to set.
Look at your voltage settings for cpu, memory, and even video to note any changes.

#7 ·
Generally the cpu fan is a variable controlled by the bios with a temperature sensor. A
case fan monitor will be the one you could make adjustments on since that runs at the
predetermined rate set by the bios itself. More power to a case fan would speed it up.

When you go into the bios, there are usually four or five sections. The date and time
is the first where you can change drives from auto to lba. The second is where the agp
aperature adjustments are made as well as enabling boot virus protection. The third is
generally the chipset area for memory timings and cpu multipliers. The fourth if not the
last depending on make and model board is the user defined area with the last being a
list of actively monitored and non-monitored fans.

Other than the temperature area at the end for cpu and board temps, this would be a
place to look for any manual adjustments. First know which fan is loud. Once you lower
the speeds down, your temps will go up as well. Don't cook for quiet.

#8 ·
#9 ·
i found out that i updated with wrong bios update and the one i acutally need is the kourou 2 spirit update off the packard bell website for the spirit 550 i downloaded version 1.8 but realised i dont have a floppy drive so cant make the disk, is there any other way of getting this bios update?

#10 ·
Got a cd writer? burn it to cd and boot from it. You will then have to go into the bios
to assign the first boot device as the cd drive once it is burned to disk. If you have the
advanced bios section, that will have the list of drive options there. Usually disabling a
second or third drive listing and other boot devices enabled as well as floppy search is
one way to commit bootup with the cd-r you will have made.

#11 ·
did all that booted with cd, it then said finished and i needed to take out the cd and then restart the computer and that it would boot up saying cmos checksum error then i'd have to press f2 f5 and f10, but when i took ou the cd and pressed the button on my pc in to turn off, i restarted and it just went to xp and di none of what it said it would. . .

#16 ·
ive had the pc for a month and a half, the pc ran fine and the i updated the bios and turned the pc on and the fan was very loud, i then found out i updated the bios with a different bios file or somethin, so i got the bios from my manufacturer and put this on a boot cd, put the cd in restarted pc and then it said it had finished doing what it need to do and that i needed to take the disc out, turn off the pc then it will say it has a cmos error (nothing to worry about, routine when updating bios apparently) then i'd need to press some keys. but when i turned off pc and turned back on it didnt do what it said it would and just carried onto xp and i still have a really loud fan. . .

#17 ·
asherj123 said:
ive had the pc for a month and a half, the pc ran fine and the i updated the bios and turned the pc on and the fan was very loud, i then found out i updated the bios with a different bios file or somethin, so i got the bios from my manufacturer and put this on a boot cd, put the cd in restarted pc and then it said it had finished doing what it need to do and that i needed to take the disc out, turn off the pc then it will say it has a cmos error (nothing to worry about, routine when updating bios apparently) then i'd need to press some keys. but when i turned off pc and turned back on it didnt do what it said it would and just carried onto xp and i still have a really loud fan. . .
here was youre mistake, not to be a smarta$$ but if your pc was running fine WHY are you messing with the bios????, bios updates are dangerous to perform, you can ruin your mobo and render your pc unbootable, bios updates should only be done if it addresses a specific problem you are having and should be done by a knowledgable person, NOT a good thing to mess around with if you are a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.