1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CHR15B, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CHR15B

CHR15B Thread Starter

Having a few issues with my Dad's PC.

He was in the BIOS setup and having a little tinker about, he can't remember exactly what was changed but after reboot he is getting, two beeps, a short pause then eight beeps.

It is an ASRock K7S8X, it has a 400Mhz 1GB DDR RAM module in, and a ATI Radeon Gigabyte AGP card, it does not have onbord graphics so I tried an old SiS AGP card and still have had no change.

The CLEAR CMOS2 pins I put a jumper over, started the PC still got the beeps, removed the jumper, tried again and the issue remains.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, its an Athlon XP 3000+ :)

Thanks in advance.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

3. rugrat

rugrat

try unplugging the machine, put the jumper on clear cmos2 and leave it on for about 30 seconds. Remove the jumper, plug in the machine and boot.

Good Luck

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds to me more like someone bumped a ram stick or the video card and I would start reseating the cables and cards in the case.

5. CHR15B

CHR15B Thread Starter

I thought so too, but that wouldn't result in a number of beeps like that.

I've checked all connections, the computer is located out the way of harm so I didn't think that would be the issue.

According to the PDF above it is a video memory error, however I'm getting the same result with a different AGP card.

Do I need to power on the system when I place the jumper over those two pins? I'll give that another go.

6. seekermeister

seekermeister

Negative!

7. seekermeister

seekermeister

If I'm interpreting your OP correctly, there are two beep errors. first the 2 beep error and then a 8 beep one. The pdf says that 8 beeps is not a fatal error, thus your main problem is apparently the first, which is called a parity error. I only know something about this in modem settings, and I doubt that is what is meant. I will defer this to someone else.

8. seekermeister

seekermeister

9. CHR15B

CHR15B Thread Starter

Ok, I've removed all devices and tried another AGP card, same problem.

I now power on and get no beeps, it seems as if the PC is actually loading (Can open drives, PC doesent power off immeditely).

Left the jumper on the CLRCMOS2 for about 2 Minutes and in the end I've got no change.

Tried another monitor, and tested my Dads monitor with my laptop and thats all OK.

Any other ideas other than replacing the mobo?

10. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

The 2 short beeps could very well indicate a memory error as stated here (http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml):

"Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard. "

Do you have another memory module you could put in to try?

Here's a great tool to test your memory modules (http://www.memtest86.com/). Of course you need a system available that has video capability.

Is it possible that the original error code was 1 long and 8 short beeps? If so, that indicates a "Display / retrace test failed, for which the fix is stated as "Reseat the video card." I'm wondering if your AGP slot has gone bad since you state that you've tried another card also.......just a thought.......

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice