1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios/ Mobo messed up, need help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slatibartfas, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slatibartfas

slatibartfas Thread Starter

Hi,
    I would really appreciate some help/advice with the following, as I`m pretty much at my wits end:
    I attempted to install a second harddrive into my pc, something which I`ve done before in other pcs without too much trouble. After swapping the order of the four drives (two hdds, plus a cdrom and a cdrw) around till they all were seen by windows, and in the order that I wanted, I turned the pc off (cant quite remember why, it was over a week ago), went and ate. When I switched it back on it wouldn`t boot, so I got the cmos screen up, and checked that everything looked as it should. It did, so I tried booting again, and it would hang each time, the only way I could get out of the hang was to pull the plug out. So I did this maybe a dozen times, then had the "bright" idea of resetting the cmos jumper on the mobo. Nothing drastic happened, good or bad, so I reset the clock/date made sure the hdd settings were set to "auto", and then exited. It hung again, so I pulled the plug, and then Nothing. The fan comes on, and the light, but that`s it. I have an AOC monitor that turns itself off onto standby mode if it dosn`t get a signal, which is what happens when I plug it in now. I`ve tried disconnecting all drives and just running it with ram, and graphics (it`s onboard, not a seperate card), but still the monitor switches to standby, giving a "no signal or cable disconnected" message first. There`s no beeps, no floppy boot if I connect the floppy. Just the light and fan.
    So, I desperately needed to check my email, so I got my older, slower pc, that I never use and plugged that in the monitor for a few days, while I tried to look up some advice as to what might be wrong.
    Then, yesterday, I read on a techrescue.net forum that someone with a similar problem was being advised to try some different ram, in case the chips had blown. So I took the ram from the working, older pc, and tried it in my main, not working one. Didn`t make a difference, and when I put the ram back in the older pc, I now get the same responce from the monitor on this one too! :-( (although the hdd makes some reasuring noises on this one still).
    I`m now down to my last pc, an old barely functioning laptop, with a broken cdrom, and a dodgy floppy. But obviously (and thankfully) the modem works.
    I`m disabled, hardly ever get out of the house, and my pc is, quite litterally, my lifeline. If anybody can get me out of this mess I will be eternally grateful to them.

Mark

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

hmmm... you should get SOMETHING with just the CPU plugged in... even with the memory pulled out.

Your system might have died, and sticking in RAM into it might have damaged your "old" memory... speculating. I or anyone else wasn't there... and don't know anything about your hardware.

Try only this when powered up: CPU ONLY. no drive cables getting power or data to the board. Just the CPU, not even the memory - you should still get POST, if its still alive. (also, reset CMOS again too. unplug power - change cmos jumper for a few seconds then back to normal, replug power cord, press power button).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice