1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios no longer recognizes HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lynea, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lynea

Lynea Thread Starter

After nearly two years of running with few problems, suddenly my system does not recognize the HD.

I had some serious issues when I installed XP SP3 when it came out but was able to restore to an earlier configuration and uninstall it. I read that AMD processors had issues with the update so I did not install it - thought Microsoft would release a new version that was AMD friendly eventually.

Now I'm having errors that remind me of that event however I'm not able to boot successfully even when I try to choose the last configuration that worked option on boot up.

I am able to boot with the XP installation CD in the CD ROM. I am able to get into the Bios. Neither option recognizes any hard drive installed.

Any ideas on what I can do to get the bios to recognize the HD? I have not changed any physical settings inside the computer (jumpers, cables, etc.).

I'm running XP SP2 (unless SP3 somehow managed to install itself when I wasn't looking) on system I built. CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core, 1G memory.

2. bigbear

bigbear

I seriously doubt SP3 has anything to do with the bios not seeing the hard drive.
    I am running almost the same rig as yours quite happy with SP3.
    It sounds more like the drive has died.
    Can you try another drive just to see if bios recognises it

3. Lynea

Lynea Thread Starter

I've got two SATA drives and it suddenly failed to recognize either one. Would it suddenly fail to recognize both simultaneously? I'd hate to go buy another HD if it's fixable another way but I may have to do it.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Failing to recognise two drives would be odd.
    Go into bios and make sure sata is enabled.

5. Lynea

Lynea Thread Starter

Thanks. Bios now recognizes hd. We've now progressed to either bsod on bootup or it hangs. I've been able to attempt to restore to a previous configuration but the OS doesn't recognize the hard drives now, even though the bios does. Could it be the OS is just screwed up? It still doesn't recognize the hd when I boot up using the installation cd for xp.

6. brite750

brite750

I'd be leaning toward a bad MB, some of this stuff about AMD processors is just intel fan boy propaganda, why they would try to knock down AMD I dont know, AMD is the only reason most of us can even afford a computer. If intel was the only show in town we would be back to $1000 cpuz, and that would be the budget ones.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!