1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS not loading 99% of the time, or going very slow 1% of the time.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aSILENTfire, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavillion dv6700 and usually it does not get past the BIOS to load Windows, normally the lights come on but the screen stays black. Out of hundreds of attempts the BIOS loaded around 5-10 times, and made it to Windows only once.

The laptop is pretty dusty in the inside so I don't know if that makes a difference with the BIOS chip, I am guessing I need to flash the BIOS via USB.

Any help?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not a good idea to flash unless you have a very specific reason. We have piles of dead machines out back. Don't let yous be another. If it worked with that BIOS before, then that is not the problem.

BTW: BIOS is hardware, so it doesn't "load".

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would say if the computer is that dusty and dirty cleaning it up will help it considerably.Flashing the BIOS isnt going to help any and will make things worse and you will have a ruined computer.

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

Cleaning is a good idea.

Have you tried unpluging the machine, removing the battery and hold the start button for about 30 seconds and then reassemble and see if it starts?

5. dai

dai

run the hard drive manufacturers dos diagnostic utility on the hard drive

6. aSILENTfire

Thanks for the advice! What will holding the power button down with the battery out do?

Thanks dai, but how can I get to anything in the hard drive if I can't get past the BIOS? I have removed the HDD because I am focused on the BIOS. I see you are an experienced member and I do not doubt your judgement, I just don't understand what the DOS diagnostic utility is and how I would access it.

Thanks everyone for your help, this is actually the second laptop that won't start, with the other one (Gateway) never even making it into the BIOS.

*UPDATE* Sometimes the HP will power on for 5-10 seconds and then power off for 3-5 seconds before powering back on, this will go on and on in an endless loop - should I leave it in this state or could this be damaging anything?

7. black-wolf

black-wolf

Clears the cmos or resets the bios to standard settings.

8. dai

dai

running from dos with the utility on cd it runs before anything else comes in from the cd disk

9. aSILENTfire

Thanks for the tip but I have already removed the CMOS battery, and it didn't help.

The CD drive does not work, although I don't think its a hardware problem, but it won't boot from Windows XP, 7, or Ubuntu CDs.

*Update* It seems like it does the power on/power off loop only when I leave the battery out for a few days.

10. dai

dai

if there is a problem with the cd drive it could stop it from booting

pull it out and see if it then boots

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice