1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS not seeing 2nd SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wineshop, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wineshop

wineshop Thread Starter

Hi. I did some upgrading on my computer. Here are the details:

I had dual SATA drives (both 250 gig) with XP home.

I removed both drives, replaced with two Hitachi SATA drives (1 TB each) and installed Win 7.

But my BIOS will only see one of the drives. I have successfully installed Win 7 on that drive and I can boot with it. But I get a boot error - "no drive found in SATA port "x" - the port with the 2nd drive. If I select "continue" it will boot into Win successfully, but without the 2nd drive.

Here are some things I have tried:

• I have removed the 2nd drive and replaced with either of my old drives and Win 7 will boot and see both drives. Also, if I replace with both old drives it boots just fine (still as an XP machine).
    • I have moved to different SATA ports - same problem.
    • I have tried different SATA cables - it's not the cables.
    • I created a bootable disc from Hitachi's HD support page. But,as I get the "not found" error before the disc boots, it still will only see the first (working) drive.
    Not sure what else to try. I'm beginning to think I have a bad hard drive. Keep in mind, both Hitachi drives are the same model number.

I hope my details of the problem here make sense.

Ideas?? Thanks very much, in advance!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried remove the drive with the OS and Connecting the drive that cant be seen to see if it is detected? It is entirely possible that the drive itself is bad.

3. wineshop

wineshop Thread Starter

Yes. I did try that, as well. Still no luck.

Thanks you.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the drive is new I would return it for replacement or refund.

5. wineshop

wineshop Thread Starter

Yeah - that may be the only option. When I ordered these I was wrongly sent two 500 gig drives. So I returned them and they shipped me the correct ones. Now it looks like one is bad. This has NOT been a positive transaction! Although I can't exactly blame them for a bad drive, I guess. Still ...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice