1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS or mobo issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bernsinlanc, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bernsinlanc

bernsinlanc Thread Starter

I replaced the motherboard in my daughter's PC, because the old one wouldn't boot or go into the BIOS. To keep expenses as low as I could, I decided to re-use the old case, chip (1.2 Ghz AMD Duron) and drives. My choices were limited, because it is a "socket A" chip. I also TRIED to re-use the memory, but it wouldn't boot, so I bought 256 meg of RAM, as recommended by the board mfg., EPoX. I first tried to boot up with just the monitor, mouse, and keyboard attached (no drives), and it will boot the first time. (The EPoX mobo instructions say to select "Load Optimized Defaults" when you enter the CMOS setup utility.) This will work the first time you do it and then when you click on "save & exit" as instructed, the pc freezes up. Keystrokes have no effect. If you reset the pc, and then press "delete" to go back into BIOS during the POST, it will not work. It hangs on the last screen. If I turn the unit off, reset the CMOS, and then start all over, I can get into the BIOS, and try to set the date/time. It will hang again, and not go into the BIOS again. i have no way to get into the OS because the hard drive has been formatted. Any ideas?
    BTW, I am the adventurous type and will try to fix most anything, but I'm NOT a geek.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bernie

2. brite750

brite750

Need more info to see if you did your home work correctly;) what make and model of mobo, there were a kazillion differentt socket A moboz, some were meant for pc133 sdram some for DDR ram, some were for 200/266fsb some are 200/266/333/400fsb etc.

3. brite750

brite750

oh and noticed you have hdd with os attached, that probably wont work, drivers for old mobo are on it and windows doesnt recognise new mobo so it kacks. You will probably have to blank the drive and start over reloading os, for now read this

Attached Files:

4. bernsinlanc

Here is the system info:
    EPoX 3KMM31-X Mobo includes on-board video and audio, socket "A" w/ 333 fsb
    AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz processor
    Superlink 320 watt p.s.
    Allcomponent 256 Mbyte RAM DDR 333, 1 stick
    Western Digital 120 Gb 7200 rpm HD (low level formatted)
    Sony DVD-R/RW CD/rw
    1.4 floppy

The hard drive is the original one on the pc--it was reformatted (has NO OS installed), and diagnostic tested using the WD floppy disk. The power supply is the original with the case--tested OK. According to the mobo manual, this chip should work and this RAM module should work.

When I started the unit back up after replacing the mobo, I only had power to the mobo, with the monitor, mouse and keyboard connected. The results are as originally reported--it will start and go into the CMOS once, but not again, unless the CMOS data jumper is removed and replaced.

5. brite750

brite750

your model no comes up with nothing on google or epox site

6. bernsinlanc

Ack! My bad!

The correct mobo number is 8KMM31-X.

Bernie

7. brite750

brite750

alright after looking through the manual, it says supports Athlon XP 1500+ thru 3000+ 266/333 fsb, you have a Duron, Morgan core 200fsb, so that aint gonna fly

8. brite750

brite750

memory has to be pc2100 ddr266 or pc2700 ddr333 184 pin dimm, non-ecc

if you want to get this mobo working you will need to buy a Athlon XP with 266 or 333 fsb
    http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

this mobo MAY work with the new Sempron cpuz also they are 333fsb but you would have to check with Epox, sounds like your daughter is going to get a nice upgrade.

9. brite750

brite750

jsut some advise if you do get a new cpu get a retail box with heat sink+fan, dont try to use old fan from duron, or buy an oem and a good aftermarket hsf (heat sink fan) get a tube of arctic silver thermal transfer grease and follow installation directions or come here for advise.

10. bernsinlanc

First the RAM issue--if you check on" http://www.epox.com/USA/socketA-compare.asp", you will see that 1 stick of 256 MB pc2700 DDR Ram should work. That's what it says on the box of RAM I bought.

Second, the mobo manual (page 10) shows jumpers to set the CPU fsb (speed?), to either 100, 133 or 166mhz. I presume this is NOT the same as "Athlon XP 1500+ thru 3000+ 266/333 fsb"? Do I need to fiddle with these settings to make this work?

To add to the confusion, the reference above ("socket A compare") shows the following "200/266/333MHz " as maximum front side bus speed for my mobo. You can see how I became confused. I thought I DID have a 200 mhz fsb! Sheesh!

Bernie

11. brite750

brite750

yeah your ram should be fine. Of course I cant possibly be sure I have the manual to your mobo, i went to Epox usa site and plugged in your mobo model number and this is what spilled out. Look on page 3-5 it has jumpers for the fsb and has default as 100mhz have you tried to set this? my feeling is this is a safety feature so you dont fry your cpu, but yeah its confusing, look on page 2-1 does is say what i said "supports 462 pin socket A for Athlon XP 266/333 fsb", then the next line says "Athlon XP (1500+ to 3000+) with 266/333 fsb"

12. brite750

brite750

the other reason i'm so aware of this stuff is because I had to replace a mobo for a circa 2000 Asus a7v133 socket A mobo to use with a socket A Athlon 750 T-bird cpu and they are far an few between except for maybe ebay, same problem 200fsb only, so I know your pain. Most socket A moboz dont support 200fsb anymore, go figure.

13. bernsinlanc

Thanks much for your help--gonna take it apart again, and try and boot it up, outside the case. Maybe there's something else going on here. BTW, you can find a small selection of skt "A" mobos at New Egg--not sure about the chips.

Bernie

14. brite750

brite750

I know its confusing I went to your site you posted and low and behold it says 200/266/333 fsb, it even has duron listed sooooo, what the hell. Short of contacting Epox I'm not sure what to tell ya. Yes I tried newegg but none of those moboz goes all the way down to a 750t-bird cpu, I found a Chaintech mobo for $38 that will work, but it took a while to find.

15. bernsinlanc

I have contacted Epox and will see what they have to say about compatibility between the processor and the mobo.

Am I right in assuming that there is nothing I can do at this point about (upgrading) the BIOS, because the OS is not installed? It occurs to me that this might be an issue, also, but I don't know what to do about it.

Bernie

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice