1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS -- OS installation

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by unbelievable21, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unbelievable21

unbelievable21 Thread Starter

I'm having trouble with my hp desktop. I uninstalled windows vista entirely from my hard drive. So now, it currently has nothing on the hard drive (no operating systems, 0 partitions etc...just empty space). Tried installing windows xp and it freezes at 1% everytime. Finally realized that I believe I accidently restored the BIOS settings to its factory default. Which leads me to believe that this is the reason XP will not install (If im possibly wrong, please let me know). I found the update for the BIOS on a separate computer and downloaded it but it is a .exe file (spoke with hp and they said the only update they had for me was this .exe) and I do not know how to convert that to a .iso file so i can boot that up to install on the desktop with the errors. I'm really tired and have been working on this all day, can anyone help me? Is there even any help? I guess the 2 main questions are is it a possiblity for an older version BIOS to be the reason I cannot install an OS and if so, how can I get it from a .exe file from one computer to be updated on the other. Thanks.

2. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

be sure that no BIOS-anti virus enabled. it will block the write to the boot sectors.

Scan for memory errors.

Try using DBaN to remove all the leftover files. It overwrites the hard drive in 0s.

The BIOS update EXE cannot be converted to ISO. It usually loads from a floppy, and makes the floppy bootable. Or a flash drive. Havent managed to do it from a CD

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice