BIOS password, more settings?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PODNickerz

Hello,
If i dont have to enter a password to go into the bios when i press delete does that mean i dont have a bios password?

OR is the bios password a password to get you into more bios settings?

I'm confused...

PODNickerz

Also should i update my bios?
I went to the my motherboard manufacturing website and it said i shouldnt unless my computer is having problems...?

Hi Pod
When you press Del(Delete) to enter the bios its just a key to do that.
When your in the bios then you can set a password under the section titled "Supervisors Password" or you may have a section called Power On Password.
If you have set a password in Power On for example the black boot screen will appear when you boot up and it will ask you for your password before the pc goes any further.
I have the former wording and that will do the same thing.
All password settings basically stop unauthorised access into the bios, how ever it's not a guarantee that it will stop people as all they have to do is remove the CMOS battery and 9 times out of 10 the password resets.
Hope this helps
:)
Wolfey
PS follow the sites advice on the upgrade.

POD,

Unless you REALLY think there are bad guys tryingto get into your computer's BIOS, do NOT password protect it...it'll almost ssurely bite you in the butt somewhere down the road!

As for updating your BIOS...unless you have to...don't. You can ruin your Mobo, so why temp fate for no good reason?

PODNickerz

Oh alright thankyou i just thought that the password was something which allowed you to access more bios settings once inside the bios because i never had been asked a password to get into the bios before...

And for the update, i thought sometimes you could update your bios for better performance
I remember i updated mine a long time ago but there were no noticable problems.

POD,

basically the answers to your two suppositions is No and No.

A BIOS PW will keep you from accessing the BIOS....period.

Updating the BIOS is something you would do to add HW support to your existing BIOS...or fix a problem with support. If it ain't broke DON'T fix it!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online