1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios Password Protected on Old Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillWalz, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BillWalz

BillWalz Thread Starter

I have aquired a Digital ts30g on Ebay. Ad said boots to bios , no further testing dome. So I got it cheap and thought worth a gamble. The ad neglected to mention that the Bios were password protected. :eek: Anyone know a way around this? I know that sometimes if you pull the Bios Battery you can lose the password but I hate to think I'll destroy this puter trying to get to the battery. Thanks for looking and appreciate any advice.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Yeah, you need to open the case and pull the cmos battery - or find the reset jumper and short it. If you're careful you should be OK...

3. accat13

accat13

unless you have done that with this type of laptop I would suggest some serious googling is in order.I wouldn't pull the battery just yet.Odds are it won't help.I know from experience it doesn't help on toshiba or ibm. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Agree with the poster above.

Most laptop BIOS passwords are held in non-volatile memory that is totally unaffected by removal of the CMOS battery. Totally unlike desktop PCs

This is to give a suitable level of protection to data when the laptop is stolen, as often happens.

On many laptops, it takes mechanical intervention by an authorised service agent, and thats only done when ownership is established. As an example, a special hardware donlgle plugged on the parallel port can allow the password to be over-ridden and reset on some brands. Other brands differ.

5. accat13

accat13

hmmm someone own a ******* lol not hard to make.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're pretty much out of luck I would guess. As mentioned, laptops are not like desktops when it comes to bypassing the passwords.

7. BillWalz

BillWalz Thread Starter

8. accat13

accat13

This laptop seems really bad, have seen very little info on it.The only thing I have read about is replacing the chip or board (big $). http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_dec.shtml. May not be worth throwing the money at. On a side note hope you didn't pay much. You may be able to get some money back by parting it out. I know I need a certain toshiba ac adapter(PA2450U) so there is a market for parts.

9. accat13

accat13

The dongle won't work on this laptop( as far as
    I know)It plugs in the PARALLEL PORT or usb on newer models.Its a PARALLEL PORT connector wired in a certain way.

10. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Open it up and pull the battery - on a laptop this old you should be able to reset the BIOs...What have you got to lose?

11. accat13

accat13

very confused your ebay link points to a NEC VERSA 6060 and your original statement in the first post says Digital ts30g. :confused:

12. BillWalz

BillWalz Thread Starter

13. BillWalz

BillWalz Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. In case anyone wants it for future reference, pulling the cmos battery did the trick although it is glued in and quite a pain in the a$$ to get out. but if you get it out without ripping the posts off bubble gum seems to hold it into place when you reinsert it

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice