1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS password reset may help??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jfs_moose, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfs_moose

jfs_moose Thread Starter

I have an old Octek Rhino 12 SMC669 based computer that I am trying to install Windows ME upon my clients request.
    Unfortunatley this is proving very hard at the moment, and I appreciate your help on this in advance.

When I turn on this machine it says invalid system disk (as there is currently nothing on the HDD). OK.. insert a boot disk.
    When I insert a boot disk I get a Disk I/O Error.. Please replace disk and press any key.
    This boot disk works fine on any of my other machines.
    I tried to go into the BIOS to check the settings but it is password protected. My client has cant remember what the password is. I have tried a number of default passwords with no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to resetting the password on this motherboard (I cant find the jumper settings anywhere) or have any idea what might be causing the other errors. Thanks.

2. colmaca

colmaca

taking the battery out for 10-15 min will normally reset the bios,make shore it not connected to power as well

3. jfs_moose

jfs_moose Thread Starter

Thank you very much, that worked a treat. I can now get into the BIOS password free.

BUT... Now even though I have managed to boot up the machine via a Wind98SE boot disk, and installed Windows ME successfully, now when I power on I get the Invalid System Disk error. There is no disk in A: nor a CD in the CDROM. The boot order is set to C, CDROM, A. The HDD is detected correctly by the BIOS and the jumpers are set as master on the drive itself. In FDISK it is set to the active partition (it is the only partition!)

What am I missing???? Help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice