1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios patching important?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KyleReeder, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KyleReeder

KyleReeder Thread Starter

my computer is
    windows xp home
    duron 1.2 ghz
    512 ddr ram
    40 gig hd
    abit kr7a-133 mb
    ti4200 g4

... as some of you have seen my recent posts, this thing freezes at random times, loads with 4 bit video setting at random times, mouse doesnt work at random times, turns off at random times, overheats even w/ 4 internal fans, and is host to many other very annoying and crippling attributes.

ive been wondering, i never patched my bios when i first built it... is that really THAT big of a deal ? i dont completely know how to do this, and "bios flashing" scares me =/ but, if i do update the bios, am i going to see results?? i had no idea it was of such importance :) just wondering, feel free to give your opinion :) thanks!

2. Huon

Huon

I always keep a floppy backup of my current bios settings as a matter of safety first. I would certainly experiment if your bios enables you to back-up. Most do these days. I have seen too many random things happen to bios settings to take them for granted.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll advance the opinion that upgrading the BIOS isn't going to do much (if anything) for the problems you describe. Overheating is a cooling or heatsink issue, plain and simple. If it's overheating, many or all of the other symptoms could occur. I'd address that issue first with a better processor heatsink, or a proper installation of the existing one first.

4. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

I suggest the probelm could be wit your cpu, it may not be seated firmly in its slot. Make sure u read the Motherboard manual and put your cards in suggetsed slots. Check all connections again and also check the power supply.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

I am going to agree with johnwill. doesnt matter how many fans you have if they are in the wrong place, blowing where they should be sucking, have tons of dust bunnies or have cables clogging airflow.

overheating is NOT something you will fix with a bios flash.

6. caradot

caradot

Kyle,
    I had a similar problem happen on my computer.
    I am running xp home, and was running it on a K7S5a mb, 950 Duron, 60Gb HHD, 700Mb sdram, etc.
    I must have 'froze' 10 times a day. I first thought it was software problems, but after multiple installs, came to the conclusion it was hardware related. I took the system to a reputable shop and the tech there said that my power supply was fragged. ...
    And that it took out my cpu.

Now I have a new PS and a new cpu; an Athlon 1800xp. System runs smooth and no troubles....
    Sorry to get so wordy... Just trying to show that I had the same troubles, and the resulting fixes.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will second the opinion; flashing the bios is done to correct specific problems addressed in the nomenclature for the bios. It will not generally fix the problems you stated you are having. As to the random reboots / instability I would look at both the power supply and the ram. After you have fixed any overheating problems that you have. You can download a ram tester that works from a floppy.
    In reference to the power supply, quality is more important than quantity. A 300W power supply from Enlight, Enermax, Antec, etc. is preferable to say a Deer / Foxconn power supply of greater wattage.
    Poor quality ps cause all types of problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!