Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIOS problem - tried to update bios - now xp boots but freezes

867 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  roscolo 
#1 ·
Made the huge mistake of updating BIOS. Had small MOBO usb prob, and for some reason thought a BIOS update would do something. Wasn't too worried because Gigabyte touts Dual BIOS pretty strong.

Anyway, tried updating BIOS, then system would not boot, so the Backup BIOS didn't kick in. btw, the MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro.

So I copied the backup bios to a floppy and used the floppy to fix the main bios. OK, now computer would boot, but would freeze up after the desktop icons appear. Actually would sometimes work for a few minutes, but always froze up.

Boots OK to safe mode, even to the point of getting online, so I downloaded the old bios from Gigabyte, put them on floppy and used that to update the main bios. Same result.

Also did a system restore from XP Pro Safe Mode (because XP wrongly states that this can be undone; didn't find out that System Restore done from safe mode cannot be undone until I tried to undo!).

My tech support (ABS Computer; they rule) thinks that the BIOS is now fine, that some windows files are corrupt and a re-install will fix problem and mobo is probably fine as well. I'll buy that.

anyone have any miracle suggestions before i re-install? Is a repair install worth a shot? Really not looking forward to re-installing all my software and putting all my data back where it belongs to get my email hist., bookmarks, etc. back.

thanks - I will now write the following 500 times: LEAVE THE BIOS ALONE! even with Dual BIOS :D

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.