1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chubbly, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chubbly

Chubbly Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peter
    I am just about to upgrade to Windows 7 and find that my BIOS is seeing both of my optical drives as CD-ROM whereas one of them is DVD-RW. When I look deeper into the BIOS disks configuration it lists the DVD-RW but it shows Master drive as CD-ROM and Secondary drive as CD-ROM when in fact it is the Secondary drive that is the DVD-RW and in fact it knows that because when I ask it for information on the drive it gives it correctly.

Can anyone help me, I need to sort this out because I cannot install W7 without removing this conflict.

My system is a Dell 8300 and it has A05 02/23/2004 BIOS

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The most current BIOS for the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop is A07 (D8300A07.EXE)

Read the "Installation Instructions" on how to download and save and install it.

Since you're planning to upgrade that desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7, updating the BIOS may be a good idea because it addresses a number of issues.

-----------------------------------------------------

Have you confirmed that Windows 7 drivers exist and are obtainable for all of the devices in that desktop?

There's no point in upgrading to Windows 7 if some of or all of the devices won't work.

Does it have at least 2 GB of RAM?

It has 4 slots and supports up to 4 GB of RAM.

It uses DDR PC2700(DDR333) or DDR PC3200(DDR400) modules.

3. Chubbly

Chubbly Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peter
    Done that, downloaded and installed A07 but nothing has changed. BIOS still recognises DVD in information panel but shows it as CD drive in list of drives and will not let me select it to boot up from. Machine still refuses to boot up from DVD-RW drive.

4. Chubbly

Chubbly Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peter
    The plot seems to thicken.

I have noticed that Windows also shows this drive as a CD-ROM in the My Computer tab. It lists it as a DVD-RW but under type it shows it as CD.

When I click on it and click on properties it shows the manuafacturer as "Standard CD-ROM Drives" and not NEC which it is and the driver details show Microsoft as the provider and the driver date is 2001 which is years before I bought it, when I try to update the driver the Wizard stops because it cant find a better match than the driver I have. Driver details show driver files from Sonic solutions. When I try rollback that also fails because there are no backed up files for that drive.

I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it but this makes no change to the situation.

Everything points to the fact that the machine thinks this is a CD-ROM whereas it is a DVD-RW and works as such, Burns as it should and plays DVD's.

I've tried looking for a driver on the Web with no luck.

Why cant I tell my machine this is a DVD-RW drive?

5. Chubbly

Chubbly Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peter
    One last thing, programs like Driver Boost and Driver Manager, which seem to be exactly the same thing and are supposed to find devices and then suggest the latest drivers for them do not even find this drive.

Has this drive died on me??

6. Lance1

Lance1

Try unplugging the power from the system and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then open the case and disconnect the CD drive from the IDE cable and pull it's power too. Set the jumper on the DVD to Master and plug the far end of the IDE cable to the DVD. Close the case and boot to the BIOS and set it for first boot and try again.

7. Chubbly

Chubbly Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peter
    Thanks, I will.

But how do I set the jumper to master, where can I find this information for my drive.

8. Lance1

Lance1

It'll be marked on the DVD drive itself where the jumper is. Look for it.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the driver downloads site for the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop.

As you can see, drivers are listed only for Windows XP and not for Windows Vista or Windows 7.

You should download and save and then run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool before you attempt to make the upgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------

10. Lance1

Lance1

Windows 7 has a good broad base for drivers, and from what I have read it should handle Win 7. But as flavallee says, download the Win 7 advisor to find any inconsistencies you need to attend to.

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

I wouldnt worry about what the BIOS sees, if you insert a DVD into that drive, and you can read the disc in Windows, then everything is fine. Also you can try and boot with the Win7 DVD and you will see immediately if the DVD drive is working.

12. Chubbly

Chubbly Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peter
    Well I have sorted out my CD/DVD drive problems. They were both set to slave, so setting the DVD to master resolved the problem.

I have another one now, which is my sound card, which is a Creative SB Live series WDM is not supported by W7 drivers. I have look around on the net but only seem to find sites suggesting they have a driver but in fact they just seem to want to down load silly programs that grab your browser.

I was warned I might have a problem with the sound card but someone did give me a link, but I dont seem to have that any more.

Has anyone get a solution and a link to a genuine site.

13. Lance1

Lance1

Have been to the Creative Site to see if there are supported divers.

14. Lance1

Lance1

Keep in mind that Creative SB Live series WDM is vague. There are versions of this card. you need to identify it's version.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice