1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zeo, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

Ok this is a really annoying problem that I've had for well over a year now. Firstly I never had this problem to begin with, but one night it just started to happen and carried on every night from then on.

For some reason everynight as soon as my computers clock strikes (00:00) midnight, my computer self boots itself up.

It doesnt really do anything apart from booting itself up and loading windows.

The only 2 ways I've been able to stop this is ether

- Pulling out the power cable from the comp

or

- using a program such as Getright to scheduler it to turn off my comp everynight @ 00:05

But their must be a way for me to stop this from happening.

I've checked and disabled any and all items scheduled on my comp, as well as formating my comp quite a few time making no diffrence.

I've also removed the hd but @ midnight the comp still tries to boot itself up, and some nights I find this quite scary (esp the first few nights)

I know it must have something to do with bios but
    I cant find anything on bios relating to this problem, but then again I wouldnt really know what to look for.

plz help

zeo

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Please post some additional info. such as the computer brand and model and what mother board it uses.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ... or whatever the manufacturer wants to call it seems to be the problem. have you tried going into the BIOS and seeing if there is an option to have your computer power up by itself. Many systems designed for commercial/business use have this option so that when you show up for work your computer is already on. Its also handy for daily automated maintence tasks.

4. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

It was a custom built system, the only information i got about the brand of the mother board
    (going by the user manual book i got with it, and no nothing relating to this is in the manual or any webaddresses for help)

its a -

PC100 systemboard
    M741LMRT

other info (dunno if this will help)

P2 400 celeron processor

I didnt originally have this problem, it only started occuring from one night about 13/14 months after I got the system.

I cant find anything in bio relating to time when the system boots itself up.

plz help

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    try finding something about power management - disable it all, disable wake on lan if you have a ethernet card and any other wake on settings. Your motherboard is a PC Chips board here's a link - http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M741LMRT.html

6. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

I went into the power management bit in bios to find everything in their alrdy disabled.

Any ideas?

7. n2gun

n2gun

Check the discussion board on the link below. It is a board on PcChips motherboards. Also some of the techs from PcChips will answer questions at times. Your answer may already be there and you will find a lot of good info on it.

http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142/pcchips/

8. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

i tried all that and still couldnt sort it out.

Anyway a few months after my last post here I finally got enough money to get my new custom built comp.

I also got one of my old vga monitors out of my attic and plugged it into my old system, and geuss what?

Now the problem seems to be fixed? How the hell is that?
    How could the monitor have been causing that? I tried using my 19inch monitor on my system again and again it went on @ midnight, used the old monitor and it worked fine.

9. Ian291

Ian291

It sounds more like a trojan, worm, spyware or hijaker is trying to phone home to me.
    Do you have a manufacturers utility for your monitor which has a automatic update facility built into it?
    Also when you rebuilt did you use your old HD?.. if so did you reformat it to get rid of any potential nasties?

10. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

no, forget about my new system, its all brand new.

All I was saying was my old system, the last year or 2 of having it, it used to boot itself up to dos everymidnigt. If I set the clock to 23:59 and shut the comp down, a min later it would turn itself on. And now @ that time it wernt connected to the net, or even had some sort of virus on it as I have formated that drive on many occasions and its also got norton2003 fully updated on it.

It also used to have a problem that wouldnt let it boot up fully (thats why I said above that it only boots up to dos) it would stop right at the start where it does that calculation bit with all the numbers and would need me to hit any key twice before the comp would boot up.

This is a problem that I had with it for a year and a half.

But for some reason now when I connected it to my old vga monitor, when previously it used to be conencted to my super vga monitor or my 19inch flatron, having been connected to my old vga monitor it has no boot problems what so ever and nether does it boot itself up @ midnight.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice