1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbug, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

:confused: My O/S is ME, and believe this if you can, i was upgrading my bios. and just at the time i was completeing the process....my p-ower went off. Yes I no longer have any Bios. Can you tell me am I sunk or is there a way to fix this.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you try to boot the computer does it try to boot from the floppy? If it does then its saveable. You should also try clearing the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard.

Its also possible to flash the chip in a known working board if the motherboards use the same chip.

Or you can buy a replacement BIOS chip online.

3. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

Yes it does try to boot from floppy and i have cleared the cmos. What else do I have to do?

4. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

thank you Triple 6. I need more info on flasing the chip.
    My system is an AMD Athlon 900mhz. The MB MSI 6340 ver 1,
    chip set VIA KT133, if you need more infor let me know

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it tries to boot from floppy then you can try reflashing it. On the floppy you need to create a AUTOEXEC.BAT file in which you want to run the flash utility, load the BIOS image, and have it flash without any prompts.

To find out these commands/switches you need to run the flash utility on a working computer and type (space)/? after the flash utility name.
    For example: awdflash.exe /?
    And figure out the the switches needed to do an automatic flash and put that whole string into teh autoexec.bat file so it gets executed automatically.

Or post your motherboard model, and the files you are using to flash.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, you posted the mobo info, i'll look up the info.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, this is from the MSI website:

BIOS Recovery Feature

For Award BIOS

1. Make a bootable floopy disk
    2. Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the said floppy disk.
    3. Create an autoexec.bat with "awdfl535 biosfilename" in the content e.g. awadfl535 a619mj21.bin
    4. Boot up system with the said floppy (it will take less than 2 minutes before screen comes out)
    5. Re-flash the BIOS & reboot.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is this a Brand name system? Because on the MSI website the list a MS-6340M, and KM133A Pro(MS-6340M), and KM133A Pro5 (MS-6340M) so its important you have the right BIOS.

9. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

My system is from systemax....that is all i know. i tried to flash as you described and is kept saying that it would not run in dos. Could you be kind enough to give me a bit more assistance on this. Also the bios i have to upgrade is the ms6340 ver 1.4 is that going to be ok?

10. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

triple 6 I am still having that Bios problem, like i said in previous post It wont allow me to run the upgrade in DOS. What am i doing wrong. Could you give me a bit more assistance. I really need to have this up and running as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your help

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the computer start normally then? If it does then forget the BIOS update.

You may also have the wrong flash utility, one thats designed to run in Windows, where are you getting these files and why do you want to update the BIOS?

12. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

I need to update to upgrade to windows xp. This was the only ver 1 upgrade that I was able to find. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Just as a reminder the MB is Ms6340 ver 1, in a amd athlon 900 mhzVia Kt133. I am really worried that i am not going to be able to get it back up and running. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have
    Thank You

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the system booting now? If not here are the switches you need to put in the autoexec.bat file.

Make a bootable floppy for flashing bios.
    Put awardflash.exe on floppy.
    copy bios file to floppy.
    Put an autoexec.bat file on floppy
    Put just this one line in autoexec.bat file.
    awdflash.exe ak31s2eh.bin /py /sn /cd /cp /cc
    substitute bios name for ak31s2eh.bin
    delete any config.sys file from floppy

BTW I like to use a boot disk from bootdisk.com; they have a pure dos boot disk with no memory mgr, etc. It is just for flashing your bios.

14. kbug

kbug Thread Starter

thank you i will give it a try, i have been racking my brain as to what to do. You all have been such a great help....I wish I had known about TechGuy before.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice