1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zach175, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

I just flashed my BIOS using an MSI Live Update Utility. The problem now, is when I reboot, I do not get any beeps, alarms, or anything, and the screen stays blank. Is it my BIOS? And if so, is there any way to reload the old one? I saved it onto floppy.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A few things you can try. After each try and boot the system.

1 After you press the power switch, repeatedly tap the Insert Key

2 Clear the cmos with the jumper; this will load defaults.

3 If both of the above do not work, see if your floppy drive is being accessed during the attempt to boot. If so, you can make a boot disk to flash your bios for you. This is done without any input from you. I call it a blind flash. The instructions are somewhat involved so post back if you need them.

BTW I never recommend doing a bios update from within windows; always use a dos bootdisk without any himem, memory manager, etc.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is the option of a hot flash or you can send in the bios chip and have it flashed for you.

4. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

I tried the insert key, and it did not work either. I also tried using the CMOS Jumper, but no luck either. I cannot tell whether the A: drive is being accessed during boot, because nothing will display. Is there another way of telling without seeing on the screen? It should be booting to the A: drive, but how do I create a BIOS boot disk that will automatically (blind) flash as you stated. Also, isn't the BIOS sautered onto the Motherboard? How can I take it off and send it to the manufacturer? What's a hot flash?

I've got one weird thing I've noticed, after the computer stays on for about 5/10 minutes, it automatically cuts off all power. Wonder what this could be? Thanks for all the help.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bios chip on msi boards is a chip that fits into a socket. You can remove it with either a puller available at many computer shops or I just use a jewelers screwdriver. A hot flash requires you [or a very trusting friend] to have another computer with the same type / pin style of bios chip. They do not need to be the same chip, just the same pin configuration and style of chip.

You remove your [bad] bios chip. On the good board you lift up the chip; leaving it still connected. Now boot the good system with your boot disk. Once it is up and running, remove the good bios chip and insert yours. Now flash the bios. When it starts to reboot or asks to reboot, shut down with the power switch and replace the bios chips where they are supposed to be. You should now be able to boot your system.

You can tell if the floppy drive is being accessed by the light on the front; does it come on and then go off? You may hear the floppy drive being accessed also.

6. zach175

zach175 Thread Starter

I don't think I could find a BIOS that was the same pin configuration. The A: light never comes on or off unfortunately. So, I'm guessing now I have to send the BIOS back? To my motherboard manufacturer? Thanks again for the help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice