1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubeckf, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have been having problems when I power up for a couple wks. Sometimes I would have to go into Safe Mode etc. Finally last night I decided to format the drive and start over with windows xp. That still hasn't helped. When I power up the MSI screen comes up and stays a long time & when it finally goes off a message comes up that No driver is connected to fast track controller. No BIOS installed. I did manage to get into the BIOS once and it looked normal. Do I need to clear the CMOS jumper or what. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. norton850

norton850

The message you are getting deals with the SATA/RAID controller and if you don't have this type of hard drive setup, it's a "normal" message and may not have anything to do with your situation. So info on your hard drives would help.

What happens after you get that message?

3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    This board does have the raid controller, but it isn't connected. The MSI screen has never come up before. It usually just jumps quickly over it and into windows before. Now it gets stuck on that screen for about 2 or 3 min and then says to boot with CD support. Sometimes it will come into windows after I put the windows disk in & sometimes it goes into the complete windows setup. It won't just go into windows with out CD support.

The hard drive in it is a WD 80GB which I completely formatted last night. The computer was doing this before I did that though.

4. norton850

norton850

If you go into setup/BIOS what is your boot device order?

5. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    CD, Floppy, HDD

6. norton850

norton850

Try things with HDD as first boot drive. When you reformatted and reinstalled windows did you have any problems doing so? It seems like your system isn't booting off the hard drive. You can usually also disable the RAID controller in BIOS (look under Onboard Devices or something similiar). That should get rid of the message but it may not solve the problem.

7. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have been playing around with it this morning. I have changed the boot sequence to Floppy, CD, HD. I've also found that after the MSI screen stays up a while it will go into BIOS for me. This time I left the windows CD in the drive when I powered it up. It eventually came up into windows, but won't unless I leave the disk in. Does any of this make any sense??
    The other boot sequences won't work at all. There is also a short beep just before the MSI screen comes on. I can't find the meaning of that in the main board book I have. I did try to delete the Raid etc and I still get the same message.
    No, I didn't have any problems reformatting and re-installing windows last night. It just hasn't helped.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice