1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dino9001, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

I am trying to help a freind out with their computer as the HDD went bad and I replaced it. It was running WinME on a HP Pavilion xg843/P3957A system. The recovery disk wouldn't work so I installed Win98se. I got everything working but the PCI Multimedia Audio Device and I downloaded a driver and tried to get that to work but it didn't solve the problem. So I went into setup and changed the BIOS setting on the video to PCI and now the monitor will not show anything at all!
    When I boot up I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps and zero screen on the MX50 monitor. What can I do to fix this situation I got myself into?
    Thanks
    Dino9001 :(

2. norton850

norton850

That sounds like a video adapter beep code. Try resetting CMOS either by the jumper or removing the CMOS battery. Are you familiar on how to do that?

3. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

No I am not at all. WIll doing this get the monitor to come on?

4. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

No I am not, at all. Will this get the monitor to work again and allow me to put the correct setting back in BIOS?

5. norton850

norton850

Hopefully yes, it will put your BIOS settings back to the default which should give you your video back. On the motherboard there is usually a plastic jumper or cap that covers a set of pins. It's often but not always located near the CMOS battery (which generally looks like a round watch battery). Unplug your system. The jumper is usually covering pins 1 and 2. Move it to pins 2 and 3 for about 5-10 seconds and then put it back on 1 and 2. This is the "usual" procedure and it's not the same for all mother boards, so post back if it doesn't seem right for your setup. This link may help although it really deals with a different problem. Look at "mechanically removing the password section"

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

Once your video is back we can worry about the original problem :)

6. norton850

norton850

Sorry I now have entered the correct link.

7. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

It is too late to do it tonight but I will get back to you tomorrow after I have done this procedure.
    Thanks for the information! (y)
    Dino

8. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

Norton850 You are the one! Thanks for the jumper fix - it worked like a charm.
    Now how do I go about resolving the Audio problem?
    Dave

9. norton850

norton850

I went to the HP site to look up info on that system. You may have to help me out on this. It looks like it has an onboard audio chip. Do you know if this is the case or if a separate audio card has been added? Where did you download the audio drivers from?

10. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

:) I got the BIOS problem solved and the Sound up and running. The computer is good as new !
    Thanks for all your help (y)
    Dave :)

11. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

Yes it has an onboard sound card. I downloaded a driver from driver-downloads.com and it worked!
    Thanks again for your time involving this matter.
    Dave

12. norton850

norton850

It's nice to have sound :cool:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice