BIOS Question?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Petlydecker

I am considering a BIOS update to help me with my new 2.0 USB card. I have some computer knowledge but I have never attempted a BIOS upgrade before. The DFI site that makes my motherboard gives instructions of the commands to input, to complete the BIOS update. I am just wondering what the chances are of something going wrong if I follow their directions? Also, will the settings I have already made in my existing BIOS still be there or will those changes be erased? If anyone can give me some advice I would truly appreciate it. Also, sorry if I posted this question in the wrong forum area.

Thank you.

Like everything else ( computing wise) it can go wrong....:D ..
But on a average ( i'll say 99% ) there isn't a problem "flashing" the BIOS.
Just couple of thing to keep in mind:
1. Never power down , unless you see it on the screen
2. Always boot with a "clean " boot disk ( the one that you it will only start basic DOS without any other stuff ( i.e , cd rom driver, memory managers, mouse drivers etc..)
3. Always wait for the BIOS to finish ( once the "flashing " is done will see on the monitor " Press F1 or Reset your computer)
4. If you don't see instruction mentioned above , after a 1 min or so , then you might have a problem
5. Yes you will loose the BIOS settings after the flash so it's always a good ideea to write down all the settings before you flash/update the BIOS
HTH

You shouldn't need to update your BIOS to install a USB 2 card.
You should just be able to install the card, install the drivers, and go...

Once in a great while the BIOS update goes bad....if you've saved the old BIOS, you should be fine.
The program should give you that option.

All the changes will be gone - BIOS will be set to default settings.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online