1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gkimble, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled Thread Starter

When I make the A: drive the 1st boot device and the C: Hard Drive the second, DOS can't see my hard drive ! It says drive not specified, it's there, why can't it see it ?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you booting from a dos boot disk? If your hd is ntfs, dos will not see it. You will need to boot with the win2k / xp cd in order to see ntfs volumes.

3. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled Thread Starter

Wow, never knew that. Thanks ! Why is that ? What if I put system files like command.com, io.sys and such on the floppy ?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Dos cannot read ntfs. There are some utilities that will allow reading ntfs from dos, however I do not think you can write to ntfs from dos with them. Go to bootdisk.com and you can download one of the utilities that can read ntfs if you want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!