1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS screwed up...dead computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael863, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michael863

michael863 Thread Starter

Well, I went to Gateway support and typed in my serial number. Then, I downloaded a new BIOS. I ran the exe from the command line as per the instructions and then when my computer restarted it is dead.

I've tried putting the DOS files on a floppy so I can flash it, but I think the BIOS may be so screwed it won't even get to that point.

Are there any suggestions? And, if there aren't, do I have to buy a new mobo?

2. Hawk1

Hawk1

Have a look at this link & scroll down to "BIOS Help Links". Might help some.
    http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm

Regards,

Hawk

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. michael863

actually i figured out a way around it.
    i read somewhere that you can hold CTRL + Home with this motherboard and it will by pass the screen and any error messages and allow you to boot from a disk. After a few tries i was able to do so (i also had to change the jumpers). and this allowed me to flash the bios.

I had to do it a couple of times (don't know why) and then i set the jumpers back the way they were and it worked.

5. michael863

My system is working now but I'm having a problem still. I have a secondary Hard Drive and I cannot boot my system when it is hooked up.

It works fine when its disconnected, but as soon as i hook it up it gets stuck at the boot screen again......what is that about?

Is my hard drive not compatible with the new bios or something?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Its hard too say. Is the second drive spining up? Can you boot to a floppy if that is the only drive hooked up? Does it show up in the bios? The secondary drive may have died try it on a different computer and see if it works ok there.

7. JohnWill

If you have the drive jumpered incorrectly, it can cause that symptom. Also, if the secondary hard disk is defective, same result.

Remove all the devices from the secondary IDE channel (normally CD/DVD drives) and connect the secondary IDE on the end of that channel for a test. Does it function there?

8. michael863

The second drive is spinning. It worked before I screwed up, and then fixed the bios. I tried it in another computer and it works fine. The jumper settings have not been changed since it worked. Yes, I can boot to a floppy/CD if its disconnected. I can't tell if the second hard drive is listed in the bios because I cannot get into the bios settings if the second hard drive is connected.

I'm going to try disconnecting the secondary IDE devices and checking it there...

9. JohnWill

That would be my next step.

10. michael863

OK, I disconnected all secondary devices and tried to hookup my second Hard Drive on the secondary IDE and it still didn't work (i tried all kinds of jumper settings too).

I don't know if it matters but this is a Western Digital 120 GB hard drive. I use it for storage of media, and i have some Gentoo linux partitions on there as well. But, I overwrote the grub boot file by using FIXMBR so I don't think that should matter...but just in case there it is.

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well if the drive works on a different PC and you only changed the bios then the new bios is a t fault. Either you loaded an incorrect version or an older version which is causing you not to boot up with the drive connected. If you know what bios version you started with you can try reloading that or look for newer versions to load.

12. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

have you looked at the IDE settiings in the BIOS? The BIOS might be set to cable select and you are saying you have the drive jupered to a slave.

13. michael863

D0C, my bios does not have a setting where you can enable/disable cable select. I assume it just goes by the physical setup that I give it.

Lurker, I think you may be right. But, what confuses me is that I went to the Gateway website and put my serial no. in to make sure i got the right BIOS (and there was only 1 listed). I don't know what I should do. I've thought about reinstalling the old bios but I don't know where to find it (the gateway site does not have the old one).

Is there some other driver that has something to do with hard-drives or something to do with IDE cables that I may be missing?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice