1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved BIOS set up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by campana, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. campana

campana Thread Starter

Computer is not accessible as password is not accepted.
    When I try to reinstall the same version of windows 7 using a device as start up in BIOS the keyboard and mouse suddenly stop working. They are in the right ports USB 2. So I think it is a BIOS set up problem as the new device are selected as start up devices and I see the first installation page of W7 but what it can be ?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is it please a genuine licensed Windows 7 installation or some copy of such or indeed some supposedly free online version

3. campana

campana Thread Starter

Of course it is. I had to insert the same key number to make a bootable UBS , to install the same version and even used the original disk. It is a specific PC problem, hardware or most probably BIOS set up

4. Macboatmaster

Which password is it that is being requested
    You say
    There are BIOS - UEFI passwords that will not allow the computer to get past the password screen

Then there are Windows passwords where the computer boots - posts and proceeds to the Windows - in your case 7 - log on screen

5. campana

campana Thread Starter

No I know the password.
    In BIOS the password is not requested neither necessary.
    The computer boots well in the windows installation and no password is necessary to install windows.
    It is a specific PC problem because it does not happen with other PC.

6. Macboatmaster

I am well aware that a password is not required at the commencement of the install of windows

I now understand that it is not the BIOS password that is required
    Even although you say
    so to ask again - I presume you mean the Windows password is not accepted on your existing installation
    If that is the case - rather than attempting to make a fresh install the problem is I suspect the keyboard
    Connect another keyboard

Also re this
    I presume you mean the windows installation is set as the boot device
    Please confirm

Re the USB keyboard not working in BIOS see here please
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...y-not-work-after-you-restart-your-computer-in

7. campana

campana Thread Starter

Thank you.
    Your last reply was useful because there are listed many possibilitis. Yes Windows password is not accepted by my existing installation.
    I tried to connect another keyboard but it did not work with the existing installation.
    So I used another way, the on-screen keyboard , to insert the windows password on existing installation and. surprisingly.
    IT WORKED!
    Now I am in the existing installation and can do everything.
    Would like to understand what happened to avoid the problem happening again. Why my password was not accepted if is still valid (I used it now through on-screen keyboard)
    Would try to remove the password as first thing.

8. campana

campana Thread Starter

I removed the password in the user account using the old keyboard, now working. Do not understand what happened

9. Macboatmaster

One would suspect the keyboard at first
    However if the other keyboard was also USB, unless by coincidence that keyboard is also faulty - you then start to think of the usb port
    When you say you removed the password in the user account settings, do you mean
    You checked - do not require password at log on
    If so try another password on the account, that uses different keys to what was the password
    That will eliminate a key fault

10. campana

campana Thread Starter

When I opened the user account there were different choice like "change password" or "removepassword", I chose remove password and now I am not going to use any password, it is not necessary. I could create a new password, but do not want this problem again before understanding what happened. I could restart the PC and get confirmation that the system is not going to ask any password.

11. campana

campana Thread Starter

I am the only user, no need other users, do not understand why there is a guest account. Cannot change to standard account so the account
    type is administrator with a name different from the name under "user profiles". Is it possible to change the name under user profiles ?

12. campana

campana Thread Starter

I hate when PC asks me a password as I do not need this is why I used administrator account, but it is not recommended. If I turn on a guest acount and use it I am not allowed to make some changes. I want to do everything without password, do not care privacy.

13. Macboatmaster

As you wish
    Mark it solved please
    Click mark solved - above your opening post

14. campana

campana Thread Starter

Yes, thanks for the help

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice