1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios settings (Over clock).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lewy, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hi

I'm experimenting with some manual tweaks in the Bios based on the info I got from Nvidia Ntune program which I ran at various multi settings 10x 11x 12x etc. A lot of people say that keeping the multi low and upping the fsb yields best results, but Ntune liked to tweak the pci-e a lot 34% in some runs from 2500 mhz to 3400, is this due to the faster memory it the 8800 ultras I think they are 1033 mhz or there about. Is it right to try lifting the fsb settings with the ram unlinked ?. Ntune lifted the pc 6400 settings up from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-16 and upped to 837 mhz. again I hear lower the setting the better the performance ?. I used to use 3d mark to see how I was improving but now in order to use all my 4gigs of ram I've installed Vista 64 bit os , and the only benchmark futuremark do is Vantage 64 bit and this seems to favour general pc set ups and not gaming machines.
    Any tips out there ?

Thanks Adrian.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The timing deterimens the number of clock cycles it takes to pass the data,and the
    frequency,how fast the clock cycle is.
    So ntune may be finding better performance at the higher settings because the
    clock cycle is faster.

3. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hi

Would you know how if I can manually adjust the Pci-e settings in the bios to match Ntunes tweak as the figures seem to show for the slots 100 in brackets and 200 for the mcp.
    I tried adjusting the mcp and that kippered me had to do a hard reset of the cmos to get pc to reboot.

Thanks Adrian

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I haven't dealt with any motherboards that allow direct changes to PCI express.
    I suppose the PCI frequency could be adjusted but that would overclock any other cards.
    Not worth the damage,
    Only way I have seen it done is through software.

5. lewy

lewy Thread Starter

Hi
    Ok I think I will leave that well alone I have only just installed those 8800 Ultras and they did'nt come cheap.
    Thanks a lot for your help, I'm just feeling my way round with this over clocking project and just trying to find out as many do's and don'ts and trying not to blow anything up in process.

Thanks Adrian.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice